Bio Diesel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
Can processed bio diesel run in a regular diesel without modifications?? Have a son in the Rockaways, hit hard by the hurricane, and has access to diesel generator.. Thanks

Yes and no. It depends on the mix. a 50/50 mix should work ok. But 100% biodiesel will like act as a cleaner in the system and may plug filters. In that case if possible, I would recommend getting a few extra fuel filters.

I'd add that IF it's 100% biodiesel he may also have trouble starting the genny up in cold weather. Keep some reg diesel around for starts and also shut-down on the regular. Once running the heat from genny should be plenty to keep it from gelling.

Bio Diesel acts like a solvent or a "soap" to regular diesel. If you suddenly switch to biodiesel on an existing diesel unit, it will break all the crap loose from the existing fuel system and plug filters for awhile. Once all the crap gets cleaned out, it will run fine. As noted the "pour" point of biodiesel can be higher than regular diesel so if the fuel gets much below 50 degrees you need to warm it up or blend it. There are additives to reduce the pour point. I beleive the oil companies just blend in kerosene to redcue the pour point of regular diesel.

Blending 10% methanol will eliminate many problems as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.