Bio Furnace demo unit install *****08-28-08 5:00 PM new pics posted*****

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
This is the start of the install on my Demo unit Bio-Furnace. It is an Endurance 50F (revision Q) by Fahrenheit of Holland, MI. The link to their website is on my website. All I did today was put the hopper extension on, move it into place, and got the 4" pipe ready to tie into the existing chimney. I do have other things to do than sit on Hearth.com and see how many people I can fire up.

I did have a Breckwell Big E in this spot since April 2007 and the chimney worked great. Yes, I should run a liner but I do not want to at this time and want to see what is going to happen without one. We will be fabricating duct work to this unit and having it heat the main floor, 1,300 sqft. I might tie it into the upstairs but there is construction going on up there right now. I will try to keep you updated on this. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas.... I want to fire this girl up.

Eric

Attachments

• P1040254.JPG
    P1040254.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,055
  • P1040255.JPG
    P1040255.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,046
I've been looking at one of these on the web to add on to my current forced air furnace. My primary concern is space as the "ideal" location next to my furnace only allows about 4 ft of side to side space and the instructions indicate you would need more space than that to be able to service the system. Can you comment on the size of the unit and if you think 4 feet of lateral space would be adequate?

Also, how big is the ductwork interface (plenum) that you would configure, 10 or 12 inch pipe?

Thanks for the feedback, KorasDad

You do need a couple feet on each side of the unit to service it. Your tech will like you much better if he/she is a "healthy" individual. I have yet to determine the diameter of the duct work. We are unsure of how far we will run it and what we will do with it.

Here are a couple pics of the vent minus the clamps, still waiting on the paint to dry. Been a little busy today, 22 tons of pellets came in this morning and 2 of the 3 forklifts would not start.

Eric

Attachments

• P1040256.JPG
    P1040256.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 883
  • P1040257.JPG
    P1040257.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 905
The Breckwells have an upward auger and I have only seen one auger motor go bad and that was a 6+ yr old unit.

Eric

We have ignition!

Attachments

• P1040258.JPG
    P1040258.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 838
  • P1040259.JPG
    P1040259.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 882
It has 5 fuel level choices wood pellet, corn with high moisture, corn with low moisture, grains- wheat, and high ash fuels. The self cleaning burn put is the best. Beats the heck out of the little agitator in some stoves.

The wife stopped by the store as I was starting it. She said forget the other two stoves we have at the house and put this in. I am tempted but I like the Breckwell P-24 I am putting in the front room (replacing the P-2700) and the small CornGlo I have in the office.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
It has 5 fuel level choices wood pellet, corn with high moisture, corn with low moisture, grains- wheat, and high ash fuels. The self cleaning burn put is the best. Beats the heck out of the little agitator in some stoves.

Cool deal man...you'll have to keep everyone here updated on the performance through the winter.

Looks fairly large. Is it the same as this stove? http://www.fahrenheittech.com/endurance_corn_stove.html
I'm guessing your unit is different from the obvious differences in looks, and must be much larger from this statement on Fahrenheit's website, "And don’t be mislead by the unit's compact design;"

Some Questions;

What BTU range is it rated for?

Is there a medium and, or Low setting?

How much fuel can it hold (cu.ft.)?

Can it burn peach or cherry pits?

Is that a vent above the firebox, or a cooking surface?

Convection blower CFM?

I'm always interested in what others in the industry consider a future design. Thanks,

Yes that is the same unit and I added the optional hopper. It is 59" high from the carpet, not the base pad. A "vertically challenged" person would need something to assist in the adding of pellets-fuel to the stove. I am 6' 5" so I can reach. Not to sound mean but all the questions are on the website. http://www.fahrenheittech.com/index.html

Please remember that Pellet stoves and furnaces are rated on input BTU and not output BTU. If a stove can burn 1 lbs of pellets per hour it is rated at 8,300 BTU. If it burns 10 lbs of BTU per hour it is 83,000 BTU. There is no authority to regulate what one company claims as the BTU of a stove vs. another company. Bottom line is if a company claims to have a 100,000 BTU unit it must burn over 12 pounds of pellets in an hour. That is a lot of pellets but you SHOULD get a lot of heat. That does not take into consideration what is lost via the vent pipe. If a stove has a lower exhaust temp. than another stove, that would tell me more heat is being put into the room. That means the efficiency is better on the unit with the lower exhaust temp, where else would the heat go?

Eric

It's cleaning pot has a "bulldozer" type cleaning system. After a certain period of time a secondary burn plate will move above the main burn pot. Fuel will fall into the secondary and lite. This will maintain a fire as the main burn pot has a pusher assembly cycle twice. After the cleaning the secondary plate dumps the burning fuel into the main pot and the cycle starts all over. Very sweet.

Watch the video. http://www.fahrenheittech.com/video.html

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Yes that is the same unit and I added the optional hopper. It is 59" high from the carpet, not the base pad. A "vertically challenged" person would need something to assist in the adding of pellets-fuel to the stove. I am 6' 5" so I can reach. Not to sound mean but all the questions are on the website. http://www.fahrenheittech.com/index.html

Please remember that Pellet stoves and furnaces are rated on input BTU and not output BTU. If a stove can burn 1 lbs of pellets per hour it is rated at 8,300 BTU. If it burns 10 lbs of BTU per hour it is 83,000 BTU. There is no authority to regulate what one company claims as the BTU of a stove vs. another company. Bottom line is if a company claims to have a 100,000 BTU unit it must burn over 12 pounds of pellets in an hour. That is a lot of pellets but you SHOULD get a lot of heat. That does not take into consideration what is lost via the vent pipe. If a stove has a lower exhaust temp. than another stove, that would tell me more heat is being put into the room. That means the efficiency is better on the unit with the lower exhaust temp, where else would the heat go?

Eric

Hey no worries man. When you said it was a Demo unit and revision Q I thought it was a prototype unit yet to be released. Not sure if it was one of your posts, but after watching I realized I've seen that video before because I remember thinking that these guys did a good job with their heat exchanger design.

I think that's something a lot of smaller pellet stoves are lacking - so many use a small cross flow heat exchanger in the top of the firebox instead of the more efficient counter flow design. None that I've seen take advantage of the hot flue gases.

Status
Not open for further replies.