Biobricks in Lopi Liberty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
Has anyone used biobricks in a Lopi Liberty stove. If so did they damaged the stove or work well.One dealer said don't use them in the Liberty for they'll damage the insides.However the manual didn't say anything one way or the other.What do you say ?

Rich L said:
Has anyone used biobricks in a Lopi Liberty stove. If so did they damaged the stove or work well.One dealer said don't use them in the Liberty for they'll damage the insides.However the manual didn't say anything one way or the other.What do you say ?

What DOES the manual say to burn?

From page 4:

THIS APPLIANCE IS DESIGNED AND APPROVED FOR THE BURNING OF CORD WOOD ONLY.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BURN ANY OTHER TYPE OF FUEL OTHER THAN CORD WOOD IN THIS
APPLIANCE, IT WILL VOID ALL WARRANTIES AND SAFETY LISTINGS.

Plain enough?

DAKSY said:
Rich L said:

What DOES the manual say to burn?

The manual said to burn dry wood.In the section which said what not to burn there was no mention of biobricks unless I over looked something.

The manual (http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/100-01164.pdf page 4) says to burn cord wood only. See attached picture.

That said, I don't see any reason why you can't burn compressed hardwood sawdust (what BIO logs/bricks are in my neck of the woods).

Attachments

• LopiLibertyManualClip.jpg
    LopiLibertyManualClip.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 397
"The manual said to burn dry wood.In the section which said what not to burn there was no mention of biobricks unless I over looked something."

I can't imagine enough paper to list everything not to burn. Burning only cordwood sounds pretty clear to me, but maybe not to others.

Rich L said:
They assume you are an idiot and will not monitor the temps of the stove and flue.

I burned a couple of loads of "Bear Bricks" (same idea) a couple of winters ago in my Endeavor just to try it out. They burned fine. The trick is not burning too many, and keeping them piled tightly together. I experimented by starting with smaller loads until I found a good number. 8 or 9, if I remember correctly. I found them to be more fun to handle than cord wood, but not as satisfying to heat with. More expensive too. Emergency use only for me.

They are as dry as can be, so I can see why Travis would discourage them. Most beginners don't know their stove that well, and might overload and then overfire using brick fuel. Personally, I'd use them without a second thought if I had to, but then I'm very far from being under any kind of warranty.

Thanks folks,somehow I overlooked that info on page four.

Yo I have a customer that burns a 10 inch dense wood brick and he sez he uses no more then 2 at a time in his Brand Spanking NEW Lopi.
He sez that his Lopi eats up his firewood and that he usually adds 2 bricks every 2 to 3 hrs. He bought 3 pallets so Im guessing he didnt call his mfgr to ask if its going to be an issue. It will be 5 years before you start seeing any thing in owners manuals about dense wood bricks firewoodbricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.