Biocide/Preservative for Fuel Oil Tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Hopefully I won't be using too much fuel oil. I haven't looked around yet, but can anyone recommend a biocide/preservative for the basement-located fuel oil tank? Not even sure anything is necessary, but I can imagine storing heating fuel for years would do it any good.

I used Hot Shot. You can get it or similar at the local hardware store or auto parts store.

white bottle is good for using a diesel engine in winter, thats it, increases the lubricity and lowers the gel temp.

Used clear diesel, made by power service, used to mitigate water in the tank, designed for long term storage. And then i used a biocide. forget the brand, they are all super nasty stuff.. Wear gloves! I figured those two would solve the issue of storage. I based it just off of amazon reviews.

I just ordered some. Didn't use any fuel oil past winter. Maybe use more oil next winter though (spousal complaints).

+1 On the Biobor, that's what I used in my oil tank. I have used very little in the past few years.
The Biobor has many positive reviews.
If you are not using much oil consider adding additional filters to catch any sludge.

Reactions: Scols
A heads up on Biobor, the website link to buy on line sent me to West Marine. The price was on a 16oz container was about $10 more than it could be bought elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.