Biomass 40 dump zone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dara

Oct 1, 2010
South Western Pa.
Bio mass 40 being set up in attached garage. Planned for closed storage in basement this summer, but summer is over and plan has not been put into action.

What size Modine or Overhead Heater installed above the boiler would it take to avoil a boil over? Is there a control valve that would allow for nominal flow to this unit, to avoid freezing, until temp reached 195, and then open up and turn the fan on heater.

Could this dump heater be installed in the basement until I get my backside in gear on a storage tank?

Thanks for the help.

Don't let my wife know that I have no idea of what I'm doing. I think she is caught on a long time ago.

Take care.

dara said:
Bio mass 40 being set up in attached garage. Planned for closed storage in basement this summer, but summer is over and plan has not been put into action.

What size Modine or Overhead Heater installed above the boiler would it take to avoil a boil over? Is there a control valve that would allow for nominal flow to this unit, to avoid freezing, until temp reached 195, and then open up and turn the fan on heater.

Could this dump heater be installed in the basement until I get my backside in gear on a storage tank?

Thanks for the help.

Don't let my wife know that I have no idea of what I'm doing. I think she is caught on a long time ago.

Take care.
Doesn't your Bio have a overheat cooling loop? I was told these are built very much like an Atmos & this has one. Randy

Looks like they left it out. Doesn't make sense as this is almost an Atmos copy boiler & a more expensive one at that, Randy

A Modine isn't going to do you much good if overheating is due to a power failur since you need power to run the fan.

I talked this over with my plumber on my Biomax
We are going to put a length of slant fin placed above the boiler (and feeding from the top of the output)
The return will be low on the intake.
A cutoff that needs power on to stay closed.
The natual convection would supply the circulation.
I do have a battery backup for the main circulator to keep the water flowing through the pimary loop.

Probably not the best setup, but it certainly would help

Mike T said:
I talked this over with my plumber on my Biomax
We are going to put a length of slant fin placed above the boiler (and feeding from the top of the output)
The return will be low on the intake.
A cutoff that needs power on to stay closed.
The natual convection would supply the circulation.
I do have a battery backup for the main circulator to keep the water flowing through the pimary loop.

Probably not the best setup, but it certainly would help
That is a tried & true way to provide overheat protection. Most examples I've seen use a small radiator though. It seems you are going to use a small section of baseboard that won't shed near the heat of a rad., Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.