Biomass Federal Tax Credit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdbell

Feb 21, 2010
South Shore - MA
I can't seem to find the info online so let me ask everyone on here. Does a used pellet stove qualify for the tax credit also as long as it meets the 75% energy standard. I notice that Dealers like Harman have a "printable" certificate online of their stoves that meet the requirements, just don't see anything mentioned about weather it has to be "new" or can be several month's old etc.
Also, would installation have to be from license/certified person as I see that is a credit also. Thanks for any information.

jdbell said:
How about the installation cost if I have receipts etc? Would tax credit apply to this?

A floor model from a stove shop qualifies as well as all installation costs - hearth pad, venting and installation form an approved/qualified installer. I believe it would qualify if you pulled a permit and the installation was approved by the Building Official.

The tax incentive will apply only if you don't get audited.
Chances are you won't if there is no red flag to catch the
attention of the IRS auditors. I say go for it.
Morally or ethically it's wrong, but it's your choice, & I doubt that
they'll make a commercial about you - like that cable thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.