Biomass40 still shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aforbes100

Nov 26, 2011
MAINE
I have discussed this in previous posts. My controller is shutting down within the hour after starting it. When it shuts down varies but is typically within the hour.
I was using the fd default setting. That didn't work. Someone suggested I try fd4 hours. That worked a few times but now the problem is back. I also tried the fd-- setting which is supposed to run without a timer. All have failed and it is very frustrating. The boiler is gasifying, great flame, etc, and then it just shuts down. What is worse is that I don't always know when it shuts down. I have to hit start again and then it will work fine.

Anyway, any one have any suggestions. This is getting old. Here are my settings:

thermostat - 195
pump - 170
hysteris - 4
fd--
fb30
500 gallons of storage

Have you checked the condition of the wires going to and from the controller?

Your high temp limit on the controller isn't set to low is it?
I think its A210 on the controller settings.
If its at 195 it may cause shut down if the thermostat is set at 195-not to much room for overrun.
Also there is the H195 max boiler temp setting that could be to low,don't know why they have this plus overheat setting?
Edit-Looking at the book again I see theH195 setting limits the max temp you can set the temp dial on the controller,so if you can set your controller to 195*,it's not that causing the problem.

Is is shutting down on start up or resuming work? I assume it doesn't reach operating temp to rest, but want to make sure.

I have the same boiler and have a fd 3 setting. Is your fb 30 or is that a typo?

Thanks for the posts. Let me answer all of the questions you have in one:

1. The high temp setting is set at max. A210 and the thermostat is on 195.

2. The controller wires are fine and everything is intact

3. It only shuts down on startup. The fb30 setting works fine 100% of the time (ie., once the boiler hits 195 max, then drops below 195, it will shut down if it can't get back to 195 degree set by thermostat. This setting works fine. The fd setting (start up) is the one I am having trouble with. Per the manual: "No-fuel testing time during fuel firing start [Fd60] - after switching to WORK mode, if water temperature doesn't reach temperature set with the thermostat in programmed time, the control process will be turned off and the display will show the message: [FUEL]". I read this as if my boiler does not go from 140 degrees at start up to 195 degree thermostat setting in 60 minutes (which it never would with storage), then the system will shut down and "fuel" would appear on the controller.

What I don't understand is why the boiler shuts down anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour after I have started it even though the fd setting is at 4 hours or the override setting of fd--. I would think that it would run forever in fd-- setting or 4 hours in fd4hours setting regardless of whether there is wood in it or not.

The only trend I see is that it happens upon start up. Please help

My understanding is that you ALSO need a 2 degree per hour gain, otherwise it says FUEL. I may be incorrect in that.

1)- Why 195? You will be more efficient by having the temperature set a a lwer point that still handles the call for heat. I know you have storage and this may be the reason.

2) I am thinking that you load is too much for the output of the boiler. Again, I don't know your setup, but I had to play with my bypass valves to get the boiler to work correctly.
When your boiler switched from load to storage may be an issue here also.

Change your fb to 99 read the fb setting in the manual again. It does a few things. I have both of mine set on 99 and I never have a problem.

Rob

No-fuel testing time during work mode [Fb30] - in WORK mode, if
temperature of water in the boiler decreases below temperature set with
the thermostat, by hysteresis value, and don't reach temperature set with
the thermostat in programmed time, the control process will be turned off

and the display will show the mess

This is not reaching 195* in the programmed time (30 min) while in "work mode" and it shuts down. You said it shuts down anywhere from 30 min to 1 hr

I had the same problem and increased my fb setting to 99 and no more problems.

Rob

I see that in the manual, but where is the 99explanation for what the 99 means? I assume that it stops the timer by what I am reading...

all that means is 99 min It was just a number i chose. Like you picked 4 hrs for your other setting.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.