Biomax (now Biomass) Fine Tuning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike T

Feb 23, 2009
VT
As those of us with the Polish boilers know, the factory manuals are....lacking. Theyreally aren't helpful after the instalation is done.. (Caveat- the new EKO manual is much better than the old manual).

So- I called Zenon to ask for the best settings. I specifically said I needed it for wood that is not as dry as it could be. For those of you who own a Biomax, the air adjustments are reight in front under the panel that seperates the chambers.

First close the sliding cover over the intake until it is open about 30%. Next. loosen the screws on the left side and swing the door open. The driver for these screws is the only tool you need.

The upper intake vents are for the primary chamber. Loosen up the wingnuts and close them until they are open about 30% on each side.
Tighten the wingnuts back up. These do get hot in operation, so wear gloves.

The lower intake vent is for the combustion (lower) chamber. Loosen up the wingnuts and close the vent until it is open 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. Tighten up the wingnuts.

FWIW- when looking through your viewport at the combustion chamber, the flame should be bright. Blue is best, and bright orange is fine. A dull color means your lower intake vent needs to be adjusted.

Weekly Maintenance : For better operation, make sure you use the turbolator to clean the tubes and remove the ashes from there. This area is accessed by removing the small plate at the bottom of the boiler underneath the turbolator lever. I have opened this up and cleaned it while the machine is operating.

Beneficial Maintenance: After you have allowed the lower chamber to cool, open it up. Use a brush and vacuum to clean the ashes out that collect between the ceramic and the inside walls of the boiler. Zenon stated that this area is used to heat the water, and that ashes left there form an insulating effect that prevents heat transfer.
I would include opening up the machine top rear to clean the turbulators tubes by hand in this category, but by all accounts this is a yearly process.

Hope this helps. It did make a difference to my boiler in the abilty to come up to temperature a lot faster and maintain it.

I've been cleaning the fan blades once a month too. There is some ash build up and cuts down on the effectiveness of the fan.

Welcome Mike, You'll see from the posts around here I'm still sorting my boiler system out. But I'm impressed with my Biomass 60. Do you have a 40 or 60? What did Zenon mean by 30% open on the primaries. Roughly 30% area? I'm running the lower vent at about 3/16". I've never tried more open on the secondary. I'm pretty satisfied with my flame color. Running my fan at 70% today but I may crank that up since it's cool here today.

Appreciate the tips. I'm sure Zenon will work on the manual. But these are good reminders for us.

tbsdolmar has been very helpful. I couldn't have pulled this off without the guys you'll met here.

I have a 40.
The 30% refers to leaving 30% open. Being a simpler is better kind of guy I really like how easy it is to adjust the air vents versus taking off a panel and backing off turns etc.

Hello again Mike. I had forgotten we had corresponded via a PM a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.