biomax vs others

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason canez

May 25, 2008
northeast
I am considering getting an indoor wood boiler for my 2001 2800 sq. ft. home and putting it in the attached garage. I looked at most of the ones talked about in the forum e.g. tarm, ecoburn ect. I am leaning towards the biomax 40 primarily because not only is it a wood gasifier but it claims to burn just about anything e.g wood, wood chips, sawdust, any kind of pellets, corn and coal. Whats the deal. Seems like a no brainer. If I get that I can switch fuel types if needed. For example, there is a locale dealer who says he can deliver corn for $200. a ton or coal at $179.oo/ton. It may make loading the boiler less messy and more convenient; or I'm thinking of mixing fuels 50% wood 50% coal. Dealer says that is a good choice as the coal burns hotter and longer and the wood allows for easy reignition. Sound to good to be true. Any opinions?

auggie said:
I am considering getting an indoor wood boiler for my 2001 2800 sq. ft. home and putting it in the attached garage. I looked at most of the ones talked about in the forum e.g. tarm, ecoburn ect. I am leaning towards the biomax 40 primarily because not only is it a wood gasifier but it claims to burn just about anything e.g wood, wood chips, sawdust, any kind of pellets, corn and coal. Whats the deal. Seems like a no brainer. If I get that I can switch fuel types if needed. For example, there is a locale dealer who says he can deliver corn for $200. a ton or coal at $179.oo/ton. It may make loading the boiler less messy and more convenient; or I'm thinking of mixing fuels 50% wood 50% coal. Dealer says that is a good choice as the coal burns hotter and longer and the wood allows for easy reignition. Sound to good to be true. Any opinions?

Welcome to the forum. As you'll discover, everyone has opinions. Some of them even have experience, which is far more valuable;-)

Not a lot of Biomax owners on the forum, and activity has dropped off at this point in the season. We can hope that somebody chimes in. I think any gasifier can burn chips, corn, cherry pits, or other biomass. Coal may be a special case. I'd look at the manufacturer's literature as well as the dealer's recommendation.

Hi Auggie,
I am so pleased to see someone else taking a look at the BioMax 40. It's one of those units that I have considered. It's probably the favorite unit that I've taken a look at. The one point that it fails my application of use is there is no means of bulk fuel feeder system. If I want to go on vacation someone will need to feed the fuel on a hourly/daily basis for me. Do I really want to deal with storage of multple fuels and mixing them and how long they will burn? I'm definately a guy looking more at an automated (which is where most homeowners would "prefer" to be) fuel feeder system. My hope is to make a decision on which unit to install within the next two weeks.
Mac

Yeah that is a good point. Actually, I am interested in a self feeding boiler/hopper and I was looking at the central boilers outdoor corn boiler can get a huge hopper that will self feed for 21 days, no need to go out side for 3 weeks!! In my mind however, too many drawbacks with outside boilers e.g smoke, poor efficiency ect. . Then I was looking at Harmons's indoor pellet bioler, also that unit has drawbacks although it does have an hopper, the unit is huge as far as indoor units go and space in limited for me inside. I could probably deal with the problems associated with either of these units, but the one I have trouble getting around in they are limited in there fuels. Either corn or pellet. For me the whole point of this is to save$$ from oil and the cost of pellets and corn continue to rise. that could be a problem with the above units/ However, the Biomax is so versitile that shouln't be a problem. That trade off is it requires more attention. Dealer says with corn or pellets loading every 12 hours is needed; with heat storage. Maybe next year I will get that to extend loading times.
Also, biomax uses coal which is cool, coal is cheap, and price is steady, clean and long burning; along with inexpensive wood I think it is a good trade off.

I think the biomax is basically a USA made EKO (similar) gasifier. I don't understand the concept of it burning coal or pellets.

Also, an OWB which burns pellets or corn is NOT likely to have the smoking problems.

My advice is to figure out which fuel you are going to burn and get the best appliance to burn that efficiently. There is really no such thing as a unit which burns cordwood and pellets or corn (both) efficiently.

auggie said:
it claims to burn just about anything e.g wood, wood chips, sawdust, any kind of pellets, corn and coal. Whats the deal. ..... Any opinions?

I have a Biomax 60. I love it. I'm burning wood and coal. I get a good bed of coals going with wood then throw a couple shovels or lumps of coal on top.

I don't thinks there is anything inherent to the design that makes burning coal, corn, or wood chips any easier than the other gasifiers. If you were to burn any of the other fuels I think you would still need to get a good bed of coals going then throw the alternate fuel on top. Otherwise the the corn or chips would just fall through the nozzle.

You may be able to fabricate a grate to keep the smaller fuels in the firebox but it would probably clog up pretty fast.

termite,
Where is your Biomax made?
1 I was told they are Polish but a couple people say made in USA.
2 How is Biomax experience? Pluses and minuses over EKO?
3How long for full charge of wood @ max output?

thanks

EWD1 said:
termite,
Where is your Biomax made?
1 I was told they are Polish but a couple people say made in USA.
2 How is Biomax experience? Pluses and minuses over EKO?
3How long for full charge of wood @ max output?

thanks
1) I'm pretty sure it's of Polish manufacture.
2) My experience has been good. I don't have any idea how it would compare to an EKO.
3) Fully loaded with dense wood it will burn full tilt for 4-5 hours. Your milage may vary depending on how you have it set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.