BioPlus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Has anyone tried out Stihl BioPlus bar oil? I need to pick up a couple gallons and noticed below. Assuming this is made in the good 'ole USA versus Mideast crude.

Thanks

"STIHL BioPlus™ oil is made with a vegetable oil base. This means that the oil is less harmful to humans, animals, micro-organisms and plants. The oil also offers excellent flow characteristics at low temperatures and has a high flash point. Available in 1 quart, 1 gallon, 5 gallon and 55 gallon containers. Rated by the Coordinating European Council to be 93.8% biodegradable in only 21 days"

(moderator: didn't which forum to stick this on...so please move as you see fit)

Well, it looka like and eco-friendly oil !! I guess that if it'S sold by Sthil, the is no problem using it (It'S not like putting non-filtered waste vegetebal oil in a brand new electrocnic full injection duramax engine). So I would guess that your best bet is to start with 1 quart just to try it. and if it's as good as regular oil, and as cheap )or at least not twice the price) I would consider using it myself just to be more ''Greener'' on my land.

oregon has some out also, have not checked pricing yet but going to try it.

I use it since I do most of my cutting on my own property.

I only cut a few cords a year so to me it is not a big expense.

churchie said:
Has anyone tried out Stihl BioPlus bar oil? I need to pick up a couple gallons and noticed below. Assuming this is made in the good 'ole USA versus Mideast crude.

Thanks

"STIHL BioPlus™ oil is made with a vegetable oil base. This means that the oil is less harmful to humans, animals, micro-organisms and plants. The oil also offers excellent flow characteristics at low temperatures and has a high flash point. Available in 1 quart, 1 gallon, 5 gallon and 55 gallon containers. Rated by the Coordinating European Council to be 93.8% biodegradable in only 21 days"

(moderator: didn't which forum to stick this on...so please move as you see fit)
Not yet but will try it the next time I need bar oil

Minor cautionary note... My Dolmar manual says there is no problem using the bio-base oils if one does so on a regular basis. However they say that the bio-base oils have more of a tendency to gum up in storage, so they reccomend NOT storing a saw that was running bio-base oils for more than about 6 weeks UNLESS you put a good slug of dino-base oil in it and run the saw long enough to flush out the oil system. Otherwise they say you risk having the oil system clog up and require (expensive) repairs...

Seemed reasonable to me, and I can't see anything that wouldn't apply to all brands of saws.

Gooserider

I talked to a local Stihl dealer. They didn't have it stocked, and have special ordered only once. Turns out a local university was making ice sculptures that they turned into punch fountains for a Christmas gig. So they needed something organic based. I figured the salesman couldn't have made up that story if he tried so I believed him.

I ordered thru an alternate channel who deals with Stihl. Price per gal. for dino is $10, for veggie based $13. I'll watch out for gumup.

Only problem with that story is that bio-degradable does not necessarily mean edible. Just because it is organic based doesn't make it food grade.

LLigetfa said:
Only problem with that story is that bio-degradable does not necessarily mean edible. Just because it is organic based doesn't make it food grade.

True, it's like knowing what the kitchen is doing with your food...if you knew you probably wouldn't eat it

Status
Not open for further replies.