Birch cord good price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
I can get a cord of white birch for $250 now the wood is in a town 100 miles away from me inland, and that includes delivery to the coast.

We dont have any birch along the cost here, birch sure doe's burn hot and coals last long in my summit stove

I guess whether it's a good deal or not depends on a few factors . . . namely being where you are located, what other species of wood are available, etc. For me, I wouldn't pay that price, but then again I live where wood is plentiful and in particular there are a lot of hardwood species with better BTUs available . . . other folks may live in an area where softwood is more common.

Birch is an average wood to burn, inferior to oak and maple for example better than pine.

Make sure its' been split as birch dries very poorly through the bark and will rot internally ( remember the Indians used the waterprof bark for canoes).

$250 not such a good price.

What's at the coast for wood?

Oak, Maple, Ash closer and cheaper mifht work better for you.

I pay $100 per cord for Black Ash logs and my supplier said he could get me Birch for less than that. Birch does have a bit more BTU but it takes longer to season, is harder to split, leaves more mess, stinks, and gives me slivers so I choose to burn Ash instead.

Moving a cord of wood 100 miles ( 200 round trip if he returns empty) is expensive.

You'll be paying more for transport than for the wood. And it's mediocre stove wood.

I am on the bc coast it is all softwood, but inland there is birch. I can load my summit stove at 11:30 pm and get up 8:00 am and there is still enought coals to ket it going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.