Birch I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
What type of birch is this?

zap

Attachments

• 100_3341.jpg
    100_3341.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 100_3342.jpg
    100_3342.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 260
Yellow Birch, good stuff.
How's the weather been in your parts?

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
Yellow Birch, good stuff.
How's the weather been in your parts?

WB

Hot and dry with some rain a couple of nights ago, great weather for seasoning wood. How has your weather been?

zap

The piles are checking real nice in this heat.

WB

Zap, you're gonna like that Yellow Birch if you use it for fuelwood; I don't get nor see any here in PA. Years ago the wife and I were in Vermont on vacation and I spotted some that was cut down behind a motel of all places, explained what I just told you and they said I could take a round of it home with me lol...very nice burning stuff; wish I could get it here in PA.

PA. Woodsman said:
Zap, you're gonna like that Yellow Birch if you use it for fuelwood; I don't get nor see any here in PA. Years ago the wife and I were in Vermont on vacation and I spotted some that was cut down behind a motel of all places, explained what I just told you and they said I could take a round of it home with me lol...very nice burning stuff; wish I could get it here in PA.

It's still up,I have been reading on here about black birch which throws some nice btu's.

zap

It's still up,I have been reading on here about black birch which throws some nice btu's.

zap[/quote]

That's very plentiful here and it's one of my favorite woods; ignites easily so it makes great kindling and quarter-splits, but burns nicely as main fuelwood also and the wintergreen smell is out of this world...great stuff. We also call it "Cherry Birch" here....

That is a Yellow Birch in the photo, and there is some of it here in PA. I see it mostly in shady ravines - the types of places where Hemlocks are the dominant tree. Maybe Emmaus is too far east and south for Yellow Birch, but I think there is hope for you to find some PA Woodsman.

Yellow birch . . . good wood to burn . . . and a bonus when splitting . . . has a nice light minty smell . . . go ahead, split some and take a sniff if you don't believe me.

Wood Duck said:
Maybe Emmaus is too far east and south for Yellow Birch, but I think there is hope for you to find some PA Woodsman.

I'll keep looking! If I remember correctly I saw some in the Poconos last year at "Claws and Paws" or "Paws and Claws" whichever way it goes outdoor "zoo", but I doubt they'd let me take any lol....I don't even see it in people's yards here!

Status
Not open for further replies.