Birch Lamps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Wood related in that they're made from wood (!?). The lamps are actually from birch that got damaged in the ice storm last year. The big one has the cable running down the back - I drilled a hole through the middle of the small lamp with a very long drill bit and two clamps, otherwise known as my feet. Unsurprisingly the spade bit would regularly get bogged down, and instead the 14" long, 4" diameter log would spin at 3,000 rpm instead. Needless to say, my ankles, which were in the rotation zone of the momentum-rich log, suffered greatly. Equally, I managed to let lots of the magic smoke out of the drill's motor....

Attachments

• P1050898.jpg
    P1050898.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 652
  • P1050906.jpg
    P1050906.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 658
Good idea. I may try one too.

Nice work.

Unrelated question. Did you buy or make those coasters? I've been making some out of stone that look alot like those.

Cool.

hummm ...my grandparents use to take us to a Adirondack hunting camp that had a lot of cool items like that. I forgot how charming they were, they're very nice and thanks for posting the pics.

mayhem said:
Nice work.

Unrelated question. Did you buy or make those coasters? I've been making some out of stone that look alot like those.

Cool.

They are remnants of the slate from my new hearth - just as the base for the birch lamp is also a slate tile....

Neat! Though I hear ya on the spade bit. I think the big problem there is they don't have any mechanism to lift chips out of the hole, they just swirl around. An auger bit of some type would probably be more effective. - or maybe the spade bit drilling upside down so the chips just fall out.

cozy heat said:
Neat! Though I hear ya on the spade bit. I think the big problem there is they don't have any mechanism to lift chips out of the hole, they just swirl around. An auger bit of some type would probably be more effective. - or maybe the spade bit drilling upside down so the chips just fall out.

Agreed. The other problem was that the birch was still soaking wet (despite being inside since I collected it in March), so the chips would just turn into this sludge. So much so, that steam would come out of the hole - not smoke....

Saw this looking for something else, thought it was cool, so am bumping it. However.

I wonder if would work to split the bark along the back of the upright, parallel with the length, gouge out a chase for the cord, and put the bark back in it's original spot (probably with a bit of glue or some brads (no, not in the cord, silly!) or both. Not as adventurous as the footsie clamp, though . . .

Also, birch bark might make a unique lampshade for these.

Yes, there are some dandies there. Thanks for posting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.