Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
On the weekend i was able to cut and stack about 3 face cords of yellow birch. all 5 inch rounds This is for the fall before it gets too cold. what is cut and stacked now will it dry enough to burn next fall? thanks

Splitt for sure, but in rounds could be less than perfect.

smokinjay said:
Splitt for sure, but in rounds could be less than perfect.
Yep! If you need it for next season, split the rounds in half - will make a big difference. Cheers!

Also - yellow birch is excellent wood - I don't view it as shoulder season wood. Cheers!

I usually try at a minimum to split the birch so that there is more exposed wood that there is bark except for the real small stuff. That usually means quartering the wood. When you stack it, have the bark facing up and any water that gets on it will run right off. If you dont split it, it really isnt worht bringing it out of the woods as it rots fast with the bark on.

NH is right.
Yellow Birch is great wood, but do split it as soon as possible to season and dry properly.
I split my yellow Birch in quarters if it's of any decent size. The smaller rounds up to 5 inches I split in halves.
Wood really doesn't dry well if not split and you should start counting the seasoning months/years from when it's split.

Status
Not open for further replies.