BIRD IN CHIMNEY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Well today was a first, removed a bird from my class A chimney with sons help. Finally got him inside the stove and had my son hold a net in front of the doors and got him. He left that net like a bat out of Hell!!!!. I couldnt belive he got through my cap but he did.... Guess ill have to fire it back up to keep birds out.

When I was in the seventh or eight grade, we had a flicker come down our chimney into the house. We chased it around with a sheet and finally caught and released it. I thought it was pretty cool; my mom, not so much.

We have bats that get into ours and when they get in house we play wack-a-bat. Pretty funny to watch wife and kids running round with brooms and buckets.

we get a bird or two a year in our stove has always been Blue Birds in our stove, makes me think they are not the sharpest tool on the shed ;)

Maybe that is why they put them there cap thingies on top? ;-P

I have had birds come down the chimney, usually in the summer when I forget to put the screen back on the cap. Thanks for the reminder to put it on the calender when I am done burning this year.

Long story short/ 1 hour spent getting bird out of boiler/ flue pipe/ clean out/ garage then out the door ,alive, then the cat pounces on bird and kills it! Next time I am putting the cat in the boiler.

When the insurance guy came out to take the mandatory pictures of my newly installed hearth he cautioned me about the lack of screen on my chimney cap. He told me about the time his wife and him went out to their new home they had built that was in the final stages of construction. When they got there they heard some noise and found a bird (flicker) inside the wood stove. They had been using the wood stove for heat while people were there working on the house, but nobody had been there for a few days.
Anyway, he threw his jacket over the stove door and tried to reach in and grab the bird, but it managed to escape and flew up it to the skylights of his very high cathedral style ceiling. Problem was the ceiling and skylights wells had already been nicely painted the final white color and the bird was covered in soot from the chimney. By the time they caught the bird they had to repaint the entire ceiling again with another two coats. Not an easy task because it required bringing back and setting up all the scaffold.
They also had to replace the door gasket on the stove as the bird had been in there for some time and had been picking at the gasket attempting to escape.

I thanked him for the warning and told him if I ever find a bird in my stove I will only open the door wide enough to slide the muzzle of my pellet gun in.

I wonder how your door glass likes pellet ricochets?

jetmech. Sounds like you may have a case of bird flue. Check to see if your piping is Chinese. From what I read, Asian bird flue can be serious. :p

Be Green, thats exactly what the bird did when released he flue!!!!!!!!.... We think we heard him say something about needing a shower...

Status
Not open for further replies.