Bird in pellet stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apache1646

Oct 8, 2007
Greetings,

Our Harmon Accentra has been cleaned out for the summer. Our dog heard it first, then the kids. There must be a bird that came down the flue and is sitting behind the auger.

It will die before I'm able to get it out.

My question is, how do I get it out? Do I have to pull apart the pipe off the back of the stove, or can I get to it by taking off the combustion intake blower cover?

How can I prevent this from happening in the future? Those I have talked with thought putting some galvanized hardware cloth under the vent cap may decrease the air drag and cause problems.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks much,
Laura

I once had to remove 3 birds from my wood stove. 1/4 inch varmint screen on the flue cap keeps them out now.
Anyway the bird should be in your vent pipe and not behind the auger.
Just disconnect the pipe at the stove and be prepared to catch the bird in the pipe or the stove. Use a box with a cover and you must be fast. If it`s not in the vent pipe it has to be in the intake vent. Do the same with that.
John

or just start burning Birdseed :)

rayttt said:
or just start burning Birdseed :)

y'know, that's not a bad idea. I wonder how much a ton is going for under the recent price increases?

Well the bird is still alive...It's in the bottom of the pipe, out the back of the stove.

I've taken apart all the exterior pipe to the inside of the wall thimble, but cannot untwist the interior pipe!

The bird can surely see daylight now, but can't fly up the 3" pipe and I don't know what to do next.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Laura

P.S. We have had a run on baby birds this past weekend. Our golden found a robin's nest that she can reach and pulled three babies out. Two died and I put the third back (without touching it), but it was kicked out of the nest this AM.

Mourning Dove is supposedly tasty.

I'd open a door, then the pipe and hope it doesn't bang into too many walls as it finds its own way out.

Never had a bird or animal in a chimney.

Just ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.