Bird's Eye view of the work site

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Decided to climb a tree and snap a couple of pics. Getting a bit worn out from working the heavy Oak sections in the pic. Needed a break.

Attachments

• pile3.jpg
    pile3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 607
  • pile1.jpg
    pile1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 577
I have always thought that I make my splits pretty small, but you make yours smaller. Lotta wood there.

Many of those split Oaks are 10 pounders. Pic may be deceiving, keep in mind there are up to 26 inch long logs, most are 20. I split a variety of sizes and keep the limit at a size I know my wife can handle. It takes 2 hands for me to throw the large splits onto the pile. I can fit 5 spits into the VC Defiant max, on the larger splits. Those quarters in the pic are just heavy enough that I can get them from ground level up onto the trailer without killing myself. Some I would put over 150 lbs. Length of the piles just off the tarp are 33 feet. 5 more rows under the tarp.

mywaynow said:
. 5 more rows under the tarp.

If I were you I would open up the sides on that tarp. It's holding in moisture that the wood is trying to get rid of.

Tarp is draped over the edge of the pile on the right side only. That is due to the fact that a row was consumed during the winter, and most of another, leaving that excess to fall over the edge. It has worked well to keep snow and rain off the edges of the wood to be burned next. Once the cold goes away, I will shift the tarp over to expose the edges of the next row. The row in use is 2.5 years c/s/s, so I don't concern myself with breathing of the pile there. The tarp is 20 x 30.

Also looks like you don't need that big chainsaw bar anymore. Nice saw treating you right?

Let me see if I got this straight. You needed a break, so you climbed a tree? Hmmm...your idea of a break and mine are two different things. ;-)

Dats a big-ol pile of fuel ya got there. Good looking stuff too.

Jags, you beat me to it. If I needed a break, I think I woulda' got a nice cold drink and found a spot to plop my fat butt.
mywaynow, good on 'ya for all that wood. Nice feeling having everything done and done for at least a couple years.
Now, get outta' the tree and get to work. Break's over. :cheese:

:lol: I wondered about that. Got a bit worn out, so climbed a tree. mywaynow, I like your style! You are a great guy.

Thought those splits looked long! Nice pile of wood - congrats! Cheers!

Every time I see one of these huge long nice and neat piles of well stacked wood I appreciate having bought a smaller house, even though it is a bit too small sometimes.

Maxed- I have not Christened the 24 in bar yet. The 20 has been good enough. I am real happy with 359. The only bad feeling I have is that I cut so much wood without making that purchase! Big-time, time-saver.

Backwoods- I set up the Huskee to split vertical and having read so many posts you made regarding vertical splitting while sitting down, I set up a short log as a bench and went at it. 2 days in a row of 2 hours or so splitting, and my back is killing me! Might just be the big quarters I am dealing with, but I can't wait to flip that sucker back to horizontal.

Something else I have learned is that you can get a really tight stack with just random patterns with double depth stacks. My ocd stacks of all Black Walnut, all Walnut and all Red Oak stacked on plastic pallets is enlightening. Check the pic of the Black Walnut; see the tree in the background? I climbed that one for the pics, got another 8 feet above the limb you see there. It's a poplar, so it will live for a long time.

Attachments

• tree43.jpg
    tree43.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 299
  • pile2.jpg
    pile2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 312
mywaynow said:
... and my back is killing me! Might just be the big quarters I am dealing with, but I can't wait to flip that sucker back to horizontal.

Do you hear that.....?

Its Dennis starting up the quad to run over to mywaynow's place and have a little chat.

Jags said:
mywaynow said:
... and my back is killing me! Might just be the big quarters I am dealing with, but I can't wait to flip that sucker back to horizontal.

Do you hear that.....?

Its Dennis stating up the quad to run over to mywaynow's place and have a little chat.

Join me MyWayNow and join the dark side of The Force where we split horizontally and crush the Rebels . . . I mean split the wood.

It is difficult to teach some folks..... Looks like I may have to pay a visit if I can get back out east. There appears to be much teaching to do out there....

Backwoods Savage said:
It is difficult to teach some folks..... Looks like I may have to pay a visit if I can get back out east. There appears to be much teaching to do out there....

Looking forward to the possible visit this year Dennis . . . and I will make it a point to get to the Woodstock Factory this time around come hell or high water.

mywaynow said:
Decided to climb a tree and snap a couple of pics. Getting a bit worn out from working the heavy Oak sections in the pic. Needed a break.

You need a permit to climb that tree! Nice work! ;-)

Jags said:
mywaynow said:

Do you hear that.....?

Its Dennis starting up the quad to run over to mywaynow's place and have a little chat.

HORIZONTALS UNITE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wood-fan-atic said:
Jags said:
mywaynow said:

Do you hear that.....?

Some of my best work is done horizontally.

Jags said:
wood-fan-atic said:
Jags said:
mywaynow said:

Do you hear that.....?

Some of my best work is done horizontally.

I agree . . . I'm pretty happy with the way my living room floor and hallway floor came out -- engineered wood in the living room and tile in the hallway. I think I do pretty good work horizontally as well.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.