BIS Ultra Tune Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after 8 years of burning I have decided it time to do a bit of maintenance. Should have done it before. I replaced the bottom refractory plate - all one piece. Easy enough.

Next is to redo the door gaskets. Couple of questions here:

- the old gaskets were held one with what looks like fire caulk - do I remove this? I would think so but seems odd that they would have used that instead of glue.

- book calls for 5/16 gasket between the doors - all i can find here is 3/8. Will 1/8" make any difference?

Thanks

So after 8 years of burning I have decided it time to do a bit of maintenance. Should have done it before. I replaced the bottom refractory plate - all one piece. Easy enough.

Next is to redo the door gaskets. Couple of questions here:

- the old gaskets were held one with what looks like fire caulk - do I remove this? I would think so but seems odd that they would have used that instead of glue.

- book calls for 5/16 gasket between the doors - all i can find here is 3/8. Will 1/8" make any difference?

Thanks
I would remove the old adhesive then apply new adhesive. You can buy 5/16" rope gasket here http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Inc-Gasket-Rope-91N/dp/B000H5SXOI . I would use what is recommended to avoid problems or you could damage your stove. This gasket glue will work for your gasket http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Gasket-...000H5R5M4/ref=pd_sim_hg_6/181-8676851-0218950 .

Ray

Thanks Ray, seems to take forever for the web stores to ship to rural Alberta Canada so I tend to still shop in local stores. Hooked on instant gratification I guess. I went back to town and got some other glue that is more of a paste rather the liquid stuff that was in the kit. The kit glue was only 800 degree's where as the other stuff was good for 2000. Thanks for the heads up (via the link) that there were other types of glue. I decided to use the 3/8 gasket, it's only where the two doors meet so I will just watch it to make sure everything is fitting well.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.