Bit The Bullet Today......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
After years of debating my dad and I went halves on the 22 ton Huskee splitter at TSC.... The deal was just to good to pass up $999 +a $150 mail in rebate. Now I can't wait to get started on the 2 cords of Hickory I have had bucked up for 9 months! I think I should just take the day off work since I'm feeling a little sick :)

Warning: You are going to be wondering why it took you so long to buy that thing!

Another warning: Learn how to use it properly. That means sitting the thing up vertically. There is absolutely no sense in lifting every piece of wood to place on a horizontal splitter. If you do it right, and this is what they won't tell you at the factory or at the store, you can actually do this while sitting down. Then roll the log onto the splitter rather than lift it. I'm not against work, but am against unnecessary work. Split vertically.

Backwoods Savage said:
Warning: You are going to be wondering why it took you so long to buy that thing!

Another warning: Learn how to use it properly. That means sitting the thing up vertically. There is absolutely no sense in lifting every piece of wood to place on a horizontal splitter. If you do it right, and this is what they won't tell you at the factory or at the store, you can actually do this while sitting down. Then roll the log onto the splitter rather than lift it. I'm not against work, but am against unnecessary work. Split vertically.

One of the main reasons I bought this splitter was due to the fact I can split vertical with it. For years I have borrowed a couple of my friends splitters that are horizontal and I have had to build ramps to get logs up on them. It was less than ideal and my back has hated it. I can't wait to start splitting.

I agree with Dennis on this. I'm not against work but am against unnecessary work too. After trying both ways. I just split vertical now. It's so easy just to spin the log onto the stand and go. Sometimes I will leave it horizontal for some quick smaller stuff but that's it.

I really enjoy splitting with mine (in vertical mode of course)! I find at times I actually ration out my splitting work so I get to have more days on it LOL. Bummed right now that over the wknd I finished up the rounds I have to split and need to go scrounge some more.

a couple small tips... check your fluid levels, check all the nuts and bolts to be sure they are tightened. I also had an issue with the hydraulic fluid return hose - I believe the issue was it was initially too long and for lack of a better word "crimped" just above the connection where it flows through the filter. Eventually this caused wear and a leak. Splice and reconnect was all it took but getting fluid sprayed was a bit alarming. I keep a close eye out now on my hose connections.

Enjoy!

Backwoods Savage said:
If you do it right, and this is what they won't tell you at the factory or at the store, you can actually do this while sitting down.

I learned a long time a go that sex sitting down saves stamina and makes a longer work session possible. But this splitting wood while sitting . . . Don't you have to use like a 10' handle to get the same leverage as you would standing up? :coolsmile:

certified106 said:
After years of debating my dad and I went halves on the 22 ton Huskee splitter at TSC.... The deal was just to good to pass up $999 +a $150 mail in rebate. Now I can't wait to get started on the 2 cords of Hickory I have had bucked up for 9 months! I think I should just take the day off work since I'm feeling a little sick :)
Congrats on the new splitter. I was thinking of getting one also. What is TSC?

wood spliter said:
certified106 said:
Tractor Supply Center. A store, like Menards, Big R, and such. Usually located in rual areas and cater to the needs of farm type life. anything from clothes to hay to auto parts and some grocieries here and there.

wood spliter said:

Think of Lowe's / Home Depot (or how young / old you are - Channel / Rickels :bug: )

Wood spliter- im from L.I. too, and the closest TSC's are about 2 hrs away. I just got one today,also :) I love new toys!! :lol: I guess I have to update my signature to include my new Fiskars SS AND my new Huskee 22 ton!

I've tried splitting horizontally, but I find I get better acceleration of the maul head if I'm standing vertically. :p

Got Wood said:
I really enjoy splitting with mine (in vertical mode of course)! I find at times I actually ration out my splitting work so I get to have more days on it LOL. Bummed right now that over the wknd I finished up the rounds I have to split and need to go scrounge some more.

a couple small tips... check your fluid levels, check all the nuts and bolts to be sure they are tightened. I also had an issue with the hydraulic fluid return hose - I believe the issue was it was initially too long and for lack of a better word "crimped" just above the connection where it flows through the filter. Eventually this caused wear and a leak. Splice and reconnect was all it took but getting fluid sprayed was a bit alarming. I keep a close eye out now on my hose connections.

Enjoy!

If you wanna make the trip up, I've got plenty for 'ya!!

Attachments

• logs.jpg
    logs.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 496
I learned a long time a go that sex sitting down saves stamina and makes a longer work session possible. But this splitting wood while sitting . . . Don’t you have to use like a 10’ handle to get the same leverage as you would standing up?

Yet another thing that can be done horizontally or vertically :cheese:

wood-fan-atic said:
Wood spliter- im from L.I. too, and the closest TSC's are about 2 hrs away.

I'm up in Westchester County and have to travel just under an hour to Orange County for my "local" TSC. Were I live I think most people hire somebody to take of what people who shop at TSC for. I can't wait to move to the country some time.

Come on guys don't get on Dennis to bad! :)

For most people Dennis is right, but I have a bad back and it is actually easier for me to heft up a big round on the splitter then to set down and split it vertically!(Sounds crazy doesn't it)?
I just want to know if Dennis has a patent on the milk crate thingy? :lol:

Edit:

Oops sorry maybe that isn't a milk crate he is setting on!

Gary

Update on the splitter: I only got to split for about 30 minutes due school activities for the daughter but even in that short amount of time I loved it! All I split was huge knots and gnarly pieces that I had thrown in a pile. There was almost no hesitation on the splitter and I didn't even break a sweat. For about 5 seconds while walking back to the house I wondered what I was going to do with all my spare time now, but then it hit me cut more wood! haha

PJ I was dept manager at Rickel's when I was in my 20's. I found one for 1200 but I'll still look around. Wood-fan says there is a TSC not to far away so I have that option.

Gary_602z said:
Come on guys don't get on Dennis to bad! :)

For most people Dennis is right, but I have a bad back and it is actually easier for me to heft up a big round on the splitter then to set down and split it vertically!(Sounds crazy doesn't it)?
I just want to know if Dennis has a patent on the milk crate thingy? :lol:

Edit:

Oops sorry maybe that isn't a milk crate he is setting on!

Gary

Hey Gary, I used to work at a dairy so I have a few of those sitting around. I also have some of the old metal boxes that were used in home delivery.

No matter what, use a hot seat too!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Backwoods Savage said:
If you do it right, and this is what they won't tell you at the factory or at the store, you can actually do this while sitting down.

I learned a long time a go that sex sitting down saves stamina and makes a longer work session possible. But this splitting wood while sitting . . . Don't you have to use like a 10' handle to get the same leverage as you would standing up? :coolsmile:

Well, some things take practice too. And why would one want a 10' handle? Leverage? Is that for the first thing mentioned or the wood splitting?

Ah geez . . . another Vertical Splitting Convert for Dennis! ;) Looks like Jags and I are losing ground . . . well we do have Gary here now with us. ;)

All kidding aside, congrats Certified . . . gotta love hydraulic splitters . . . in fact splitting wood is one of my most favorite parts of working with the wood.

firefighterjake said:
Ah geez . . . another Vertical Splitting Convert for Dennis! ;) Looks like Jags and I are losing ground . . . well we do have Gary here now with us. ;)

All kidding aside, congrats Certified . . . gotta love hydraulic splitters . . . in fact splitting wood is one of my most favorite parts of working with the wood.

Thanks, I will probably still use the horizontal also when splitting out of the back of the truck. It seems that it would be beneficial to not have to bend at all plus I tried the built in cradle and as long as your rounds aren't huge it does an ok job of not dropping the halves on the ground.

certified106 said:
firefighterjake said:

Thanks, I will probably still use the horizontal also when splitting out of the back of the truck. It seems that it would be beneficial to not have to bend at all plus I tried the built in cradle and as long as your rounds aren't huge it does an ok job of not dropping the halves on the ground.

Oh, so maybe there is hope for you yet . . . if you've looked around you'll see Dennis and I kid each other with the way we split . . . truth is . . . whatever works well for a person is the perfect way to split . . . since I split a lot of my wood after hauling it home all bucked up I find it quite easy to do the same as you . . . grab it from the trailer (well you grab it from the pick up bed) and place it on the splitter without having to bend over . . . it's what works well for me. Having a cradle also makes a big difference . . .

That said . . . having the ability to split both ways is great -- if you find you prefer splitting vertically you can do so . . . and for those monster pieces of wood you can go vertical and roll them to the splitter to split them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.