"Bitterly cold winter coming"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should probably add that I have no idea how accurate the Farmer's Almanac is. I hope they're right though!
Don't even say that in jest. I got too much wood to get....I say no to the snow! :mad:
If not, I'm pretty sure it won't get much below 70 in my living room. ==c

NWS is predicting pretty much normal temps and precip, for my areas anyway....

Bring it! My wood and more importantly, my plow truck and wallet are ready!

Squirrels started tearing up the white oak acorns a couple weeks ago here, could be a bumper crop from all the rain or are they "prepping"?
They are still doing a number on the pine cones as they usually do but haven't started raiding the Hickory trees

No this is not a thread about an ex-girlfriend....

Apparently the Farmer's Almanac predicts this for most of the country this winter.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57600023/farmers-almanac-predicts-a-bitterly-cold-winter/

Several major snowfalls are predicted also. Makes me glad I've got 20 cords on hand!

I hope its right. The last two winters in Maryland have been a bust--it hasn't snowed more than an inch or two here in three years. My stove has been the best insurance against cold weather--it hasn't been cold since I got it in Dec. 2011.

Reactions: firebroad and ScotO
Im not ready :( 4 cord of oak that cant be used till 2015+ Maybe the neighbor will trade a cord or two of mixed ready stuff for CSS green oak???? They have 15+ cord

Im not ready :( 4 cord of oak that cant be used till 2015+ Maybe the neighbor will trade a cord or two of mixed ready stuff for CSS green oak???? They have 15+ cord

Never trade that oak, it's like a long-term investment (and a woman): Substantial penalty for early withdrawal.:eek: Better to cut/scrounge/buy something you can burn this winter.

Lots of hickory nuts already this year too, since I love winter I'm hoping they're right.

Never trade that oak, it's like a long-term investment (and a woman): Substantial penalty for early withdrawal.:eek: Better to cut/scrounge/buy something you can burn this winter.

I have more oak trees than I know what to do with lol.... 5acres and 85% of it is rock and white oak :) I'll be ok if I trade a cord of fresh cut red. (I have a ton of EAB Ash too that will be cut soon once it dies :( )

That will be ok with me this year. I have never seen snow in southern Arizona.

Perhaps you need to check out Tuscon?! Yes, they get snow most years. You just sometimes have to look quickly before it melts.

I wonder if we can predict anything by counting the number of farmers almanac threads that show up every fall.

I've already seen 3 today....

I'm never sure who to trust . . . The Farmer's Almanac or The Old Farmer's Almanac.

Reactions: blujacket
Down here we seem to be getting dinged to some degree every year now. Used to be every ten years or so...

East Coast pattern...Has happened before:

majors_1951_1960%283%29.jpg

...before BB moved east, I think

Hmmm... Didn't know that. Yeah about 30 years before I came this way. ;lol

It may give me a chance to open up that harman and see what she can do. I predict it will still be 90 Deg in my stove room.

Hmmm... Didn't know that. Yeah about 30 years before I came this way. ;lol
Fortunately, this time we are in a major hurricane drought. Last Cat3 or bigger was in 2005, (Wilma). Longest stretch since 19th century.

ETA : There's a reason Hatteras is known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic

Ok, bring the cold...Scotty, you can have the snow....keep it up there! I don't want to shovel, bringing wood up the steps is enough! ;)

I listened to NBC this morning who did a review of the FA prediction. In the end, NBC said FA has an accuracy rate of 80%. I have no idea who is right, but with that publication having been around for so long and so many farmers putting faith in it, I'll go with the Farmers. They have it right most of the time because they know all about BS!

Since my wood supply is about 1/4 of what I would use in a normal year I hope it is a very mild winter.

1185923_537861179620760_862729865_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.