Bitternut Hickory Nuts Wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDGE

Sep 28, 2008
Northeastern ND
I am looking to buy bitternut hickory nuts. I want the nuts to sow. I will prefer nuts from trees growing in the North--- say from those in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario, and New York. Price negotiable.

What about shag-bark?

may be able to help you out with those. there are some old butternuts at my moms.ill see how the trees produced today. some yrs they are loaded with nuts some yrs not.ill let you know

oops ..........butternut or bitter nut?

EDGE:

Are you aware of this?

http://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/pest_al/hickory/hickory.htm

I had a small but healthy stand of bitternut here when I bought my place in '89. Over the course of a few years _most_ of them died... though there are plenty of 'volunteers' coming along since.

Out of curiosity, why do you want bitternut?

My impression is that from a variety of standpoints (including firewood quality) bitternut doesn't have a hell of a lot of value (to humans).

Do a lot of wildlife species 'feel differently'?

Peter B.

-----

I have a tree in my yard, the animals usually take the nuts as fast as they fall. I will check tomorrow and see if they left any.
It is pouring rain out there now, and dark.

How many are you looking for ?

Tough year for nuts this year with all the rain we had in the northeast.

Bitternut Hickory is great firewood. If I had any nuts this year, I'd be happy to send them to you. If you don't get any this year, post again next year.

Is this what you are looking for ?

The ones on the left still have the outer skin and the ones on the right do not, the one in the center is the center of one.

I have a few on the ground let me know.

Attachments

• IM001006.JPG
    IM001006.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 403
Sorry I am so late in getting back to this posting. I travelled home for the weekend--- my mother's birthday, and I don't get on the computer too often on weekdays at this time of the year.
Hiram: I have several shagbarks growing in my yard and I like them too, but they are much slower growing here than the bitternut. Also, the bitternut is more of a bottomland species and that is the type of ground that I am planning to reforest.
raven: Well, actually I was looking for bitternuts, but sure! I'd be interested in butternut nuts, too. Again, a faster growing tree here and they should do well on the ground I am thinking of planting.
Peter B.: No. Hadn't been aware that hickories had many troubles. However, way up and out here we are pretty far out of the native range of these trees, so I am not too worried about having disease spread to any of them that I am trying to grow.
And answering your question as to why I am interested in sowing bitternut hickories, it is because they seem to be able to do well here. Bear in mind that there are not very many kinds of trees that grow in North Dakota. When I find a species that does grow, I'll plant (or sow) it. I am interested in introducing more types of trees into my forest, especially because we have lost our elms, and it looks as if the ash will be next. So, I am not concerned that the nuts are not edible or that the wood might not make the best firewood. If a tree will grow, I'll take it.
Hurricane: Depends on your price. I'd like to get enough to sow about half an acre--- say 500 nuts. And yupp, those appear to be the right kind.
DBoon: Same damn damp weather here. I have a lot of oak trees, but I have not seen one tree that shed any acorns this year.
Thanks to you all for your responses.
EDGE

Edge I do not want to sell the nuts, they are on the ground in my yard.
I know I do not have anything near 500 but I will scoop up what I can and send them via snail mail. PM me your mailing address and I will see what I can scrape up.

I just went out and looked and I cannot find 10 good ones. I guess they fell a while ago. The ones in the picture were picked up right after a storm. The only ones I could find today were rotten or eaten.

Hurricane: Ahhh, such is life. I do thank thee, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.