Bitternut Hickory, right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LocustPocust

Burning Hunk
Sep 27, 2015
Taconic Mountains
I've been burning some sort of Hickory that I CSS in October 2014 and I can't get over how little it weighs. I was always under the impression that Hickory was heavy. It definitely smells like hickory when it burns. Is this a Bitternut or...?

AF1QipPcFj1B-ZnSWOgOJbQFu1k7XaLwEUvXOlIFDSLq

AF1QipOmGFsSplVOp0fDp2FskUhBG_cWEXdFP5jea42C

AF1QipOk3Wgg_GLCyArxD3vBzWwCjMvLkvSpXtfI9Okq

Yeah photos not coming up but I'm burning some bitter nut hickory right now CSS summer of 13, still pretty heavy. Of course that's compared to the poplar and soft maple I was burning so maybe its relative. Mine isn't as dry as I had hoped, mc is still in the low 20's on a couple of pieces I tested but my stacking location isn't ideal.

I have some mockernut hickory that lay on the ground in unsplit rounds for a few months before I got around to splitting them. I found that much of the wood had started to go bad--it was light and crumbly. There was very little dense heartwood left. Apparently hickory deteriorates quickly in contact with the ground--maybe this is what happened to your stash?

BTW, there's a sticky thread on uploading pix. I did this for the first time just a few days ago and it worked fine (at least uploading pix from my hard drive) when I followed the guidance. Keep trying!

Can't see pics but I got a half cord of hickory this year that is different than what I'm used to. Very white and stringy. I'm sure it's hickory. Smooth ridged grayish bark so not shagbark. It's heavy though. Can't wait to burn it in three years

Well, depending on where in the Taconics you are, it is quite likely it's bitternut. In north Berkshire MA, that's almost the only hickory I see in the woods, besides a few pockets of shagbark here & there. Bitternut hickory is an indicator of rich-mesic forests, and there's LOTS of that all up & down the Taconics.

Status
Not open for further replies.