Bixby Frustrations - Please Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffbacon

Dec 25, 2014
Central MN
Howdy! I am new to the this forum and new to the world of corn/pellet stoves. I bought a used Bixby 110 off craigslist and recently installed it in my living room. Before installation, I gave the beast a thorough cleaning and installed two new igniters. I also used all new exhaust/vent system purchased through Bixby Stove Parts and had both the mother board and igniter board overhauled by Bixby Stove Parts - He also installed a switch to go from corn to pellet burning mode since I plan on burning mainly pellets. I have a pallet of Heartland Ultra Premium Pellets.

I've been struggling with the stove for about a week and can't seem to keep it burning...It starts just fine and seems to burn great for about four hours (on setting 3 or 4) until the burn pot fills up with ash and partially burnt pellets to above the vortex holes in the burn pot and eventually snuffs itself out. I have studied all the manuals and feel pretty confident that it is burning at a normal air/fuel ratio - I've tried many combinations of air and feed rate combos. It seems to work pretty well at +/- 0 air and +1 feed. Everything else seems to be working fine - heat is awesome - no flashing lights - clean glass (until it chokes out) - minimal (if any) exhaust smoke just a little steam now and again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I guess my first troubleshooting questions are:

*How often should it start its' ash dump process on 3 or 4 setting? It looks like if it were to dump the bottom part of the pot and let the fire drop down - it would not snuff out and keep rockin' and rollin'! It has yet to start an ash dump process while a fire has been burning. When I shut it off and back on - it dumps everything out of the pot.

*Is there a way to manually initiate the ash dump mode without restarting the whole system? Or better stated - is there a way to check that the ash dump motor switch is working?

*Just so I thoroughly understand the trim pot air/feed knob functions...The leanest setting possible would be +5 exhaust air and -5 feed rate with -5 exhaust air and +5 feed rate would be the richest possible setting. Correct?

Thanks for any help! MARK

To manually start a dump just push the on button.
Rona knows the Bixby series well and may have to have you get a data cable to change some stove setting if possible on the 110. I have the 115 and the stove was designed for corn and if you think the stove works on pellets ,try corn. Using corn I have done nothing but fill it the last two weeks and took out the ash bin once a week. On low the stove is making a biscuit in 15 hours.
Welcome

Howdy! I am new to the this forum and new to the world of corn/pellet stoves. I bought a used Bixby 110 off craigslist and recently installed it in my living room. Before installation, I gave the beast a thorough cleaning and installed two new igniters. I also used all new exhaust/vent system purchased through Bixby Stove Parts and had both the mother board and igniter board overhauled by Bixby Stove Parts - He also installed a switch to go from corn to pellet burning mode since I plan on burning mainly pellets. I have a pallet of Heartland Ultra Premium Pellets.

I've been struggling with the stove for about a week and can't seem to keep it burning...It starts just fine and seems to burn great for about four hours (on setting 3 or 4) until the burn pot fills up with ash and partially burnt pellets to above the vortex holes in the burn pot and eventually snuffs itself out. I have studied all the manuals and feel pretty confident that it is burning at a normal air/fuel ratio - I've tried many combinations of air and feed rate combos. It seems to work pretty well at +/- 0 air and +1 feed. Everything else seems to be working fine - heat is awesome - no flashing lights - clean glass (until it chokes out) - minimal (if any) exhaust smoke just a little steam now and again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I guess my first troubleshooting questions are:

*How often should it start its' ash dump process on 3 or 4 setting? It looks like if it were to dump the bottom part of the pot and let the fire drop down - it would not snuff out and keep rockin' and rollin'! It has yet to start an ash dump process while a fire has been burning. When I shut it off and back on - it dumps everything out of the pot.

*Is there a way to manually initiate the ash dump mode without restarting the whole system? Or better stated - is there a way to check that the ash dump motor switch is working?

*Just so I thoroughly understand the trim pot air/feed knob functions...The leanest setting possible would be +5 exhaust air and -5 feed rate with -5 exhaust air and +5 feed rate would be the richest possible setting. Correct?

Thanks for any help! MARK
As bio burner said simply push the on button and it will dump. You obviously dropped a bunch of cash on that 110 to make it run as good as a 115. Sounds like you are real close to getting it working. Do you have a manual? If not go to Bixby stove parts and you will find it under the 110 selection. I would print the whole works. Did he say which version of software they installed into your stove? They were using the 2.71 but the better one is 2.73 either one will work but 2.73 has some improvements on it.
Concerning your settings you have the right idea with lean and rich settings. Are you running with a thermostat?
I prefer to use level 4 and not use a thermostat until we get your stove running right. So set it on level 4 and the goal is to lean it out so it won't choke itself. 0 air and +1 on feed is a good starting point. When it flooded a number of times did you remove the pot and look at that plate with all the airholes? I bet several are plugged because of the misfires. Try cleaning them out and try again this time turning the feed back to 0. this should reduce the amount of fuel by just a little and maybe solve the problem. If you don't see any difference increase the air to +1.
It is very important to only do one adjustment at a time until things are working so you know which adjustment worked or made things worse. I'm going to send you a PM so be looking for it.

Check eBay for a fellow named Blume he has an endless supply of parts and knowledge and is most willing to help with the stove ! I had a Bixby if you burn corn you'll have fewer problems but expect a headache I've had one but switched to a Harman and haven't looked back ! Good luck I almost forgot Google Bixby parts that person worked for Bixby and can also help !

Thanks for all the help and replies. I actually spoke with the guy at Bixby Stove Parts today and he echoed the same advice. He said I am real close and to reduce the feed speed just a bit and it should get there. He advised that the ash dump on pellets at level 4 should dump around 16 hours into the burn. I'll give everything another good cleaning and go from there. It's comforting to hear that I am on the right track with the +/- 0 air and +1 feed I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. Thanks again. Mark

PS - not running a thermostat and I am unsure exactly which version of the upgraded software was installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.