Bixby Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don, you will have luck on the iburncorn.com forum. There is a huge following of the Bixby over there. And a section dedicated to it.

We had one in the showroom for a few days, it was really loud and didn't light well. Maybe I was a little impatient with it but at that point, as far as biomass stoves were concerned, I was very picky having gone through the Whitfield debacle and a few other "quirks" with some of the other brands and wasnt about to go through it with another line.

Easily noisier than the Accentra. I determined it was mostly the auger motor that operates the self cleaning pot. It's almost like the sound is amplified. The blowers aren't all that quiet either.

I always thought they were neat engineering, but pricey. Although I heard thru the grapevine that a bunch are being dumped onto the market at a cheap price. Guess everyone is hurting! If you can stand the noise, it might be a good stove at the right price level.

The price was definatly a hurdle. 4k plus was suggested retail and they had proprietary pipe which cost an arm and a leg even at wholesale.

Someone on ebay has been selling loads of em all winter long.

We had one for most of this winter but it was not running most of the time. We had lots of problems with it, smoke in the house, ash pan gasket burned out 3 times, motor problems and computer board problems. Our dealer took it back and replaced it with a Magnum Pellet stove.

I currently have a Bixby 110. I have it installed in my basement (mostly finished basement) and have used it for the past 2 years as (for the most part) my main heat source. Like any stove it took alittle to figure out what works best. I originaly had it vented out through the wall with a horizontal setup and it worked pretty good, but noticed that you had to clean the termination cap on a regular bases or it would not draft right. This past year I extended the chimney vertical so that it was above the eves and works 100 times better......a lot more intense flame...actually had to adjust back the exhuast fan speed. I have been running the stove from october through the end of march and used approx. 9000 lbs. of corn the first year and about 11000 lbs. of corn this past year (lot colder winter). I was able to cut my propane usage by over half for each year. When in use the only time I shut it down was to clean out the fire box which I did around every 2 weeks or so. Other than that I would empty the ash pan out once a day ( but can go several days with out doing) when I added corn. Other wise the stove ran non stop. I do have it hooked up to a thermistat. You can hear the blower.....but it is not too loud and when it cleans the fire pot (or drops the ash cake in to the ash pan) it does make a loud mechanial noise during the proccess. It will hold about 90 lbs. of corn and it starts pretty easy.....with a push of the button. My girlfreind would actually help out with this stove.....my other conventioanl corn stove was too much work for her.....It was kinda pricey. and the stove pipe was redicuosly pricey, but I found that regular 3 inch stove pipe works and is a lot cheaper!!

Also, if anyone is interested, or knows of anyone interested, I will be (am) selling this stove. I have recently bought a Maxim corn boiler to heat my shop and also to heat the house......if I can get all the radiant installed before winter.....

send me a PM.

Thankx

There's also a guy in Stillwater, MN that had one for sale on the 'other' page, I know it is not close to you and I'm not sure if he has sold it by now. I was thinking about as it was priced well, they are cool looking stoves imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.