BK acting strange lately

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
Normally my stove sits in on low (1) at about 225-260 depending on outside temp/conditions.
The colder it is, the warmer the stove burns... the warmer it is, the colder the stove burns. The cat usually stays at about 1/4 to 1/3 on the cat probe.

For about the last 4 days or so, it won't settle down at all.
It stays up high, about 350-375 for nearly the entire burn. As the fuel load burns down, it will eventually get down to where it normally is. But that's about 12-14 hours later. Normally it takes about an hour to get settled in.
The cat probe sits at about 2/3 to 3/4. The cat is always glowing orange. Normally it will glow after I load it and char the wood, then will go dark the entire burn.

What's going on?
I checked the loading door w/ dollar bill.. Was ok. I also checked the little thing for the ash drawer, that was sitting nice in place. What else can I check?

The first time it happened, it was very windy out. That's normally for it to burn hotter when it's windy. More draft increases the flow, increases the cat action, makes the stove hotter. That I'm ok with, but right now there's about 5mph winds and it's been doing it all day. Anyone have some thoughts on this? This stove is keeping my house at 80-82, it's kinda warm for me. Normally it's 72-74 when it burns like normal... would like to get it fixed ;)

The stove has been eating the same food it always have, and I've been feeding it the same amount I always have. Nothing different in that respect.

When you say 1/4-1/3 are you talking about the position of the temp gauge on the cat therm? Didnt you just get this stove? How long have you've been burning with the Chinook?

weatherguy said:
When you say 1/4-1/3 are you talking about the position of the temp gauge on the cat therm? Didnt you just get this stove? How long have you've been burning with the Chinook?

Yes, Yes, and since late November.

the loading door handle is pretty sloppy, but some other users said that their BK stove is like that also.

Have you changed size &/or species of splits?
Drier wood then before etc?

It actually sounds like its burning like mine used to when the cat was in tip top shape, Id have to turn it down real low, almost shut it down to get a nice even heat. Have you tried turning it down all the way? Other than burning differently than it was it sounds like its working ok. Another thing is maybe your woods drier now since we're later into the season, Ive noticed a difference in burns with mine when I used wood that was probably below 15% as opposed to 20%, plus different wood species would burn a little different too.

Hogwildz said:

Same wood. No changes at all. If anything this wood is more wet since it was near the bottom of the pile close to the ground.

weatherguy said:
It actually sounds like its burning like mine used to when the cat was in tip top shape, Id have to turn it down real low, almost shut it down to get a nice even heat. Have you tried turning it down all the way? Other than burning differently than it was it sounds like its working ok. Another thing is maybe your woods drier now since we're later into the season, Ive noticed a difference in burns with mine when I used wood that was probably below 15% as opposed to 20%, plus different wood species would burn a little different too.

Yep, I tried burning it at 1 like normal, tried turning it down further. I can hear the T-stat snap shut at a few hairs above 1.5. Normally it will shut just above 1 if I'm burning on 1. So the tstat is performing like it's supposed to. Even when I was burning bone dry pine it sat in the 200s no problem.

When I say I can hear it shut, I mean I'll turn the dial up to about 2-3, then close it back down to 1... I can hear the clang at 1.6 or so.

Hass said:
Hogwildz said:

Same wood. No changes at all. If anything this wood is more wet since it was near the bottom of the pile close to the ground.

weatherguy said:

Yep, I tried burning it at 1 like normal, tried turning it down further. I can hear the T-stat snap shut at a few hairs above 1.5. Normally it will shut just above 1 if I'm burning on 1. So the tstat is performing like it's supposed to. Even when I was burning bone dry pine it sat in the 200s no problem.

When I say I can hear it shut, I mean I'll turn the dial up to about 2-3, then close it back down to 1... I can hear the clang at 1.6 or so.

Hopefully that BK dealer will read this thread, hes probably sleeping as most are, if I think of anything else Ill post it tomorrow.

weatherguy said:
Hopefully that BK dealer will read this thread, hes probably sleeping as most are, if I think of anything else Ill post it tomorrow.

Thanks... If you think of another way for air to sneak in there let me know. I have a feeling extra air is getting in there some how, I just don't know where.
I checked my class A and it's all snug together still. I don't know if maybe there's a piece of something in the bypass door that won't let the gasket close all the way... don't know if that would do it

Did you take the cover off the stat & look in there?
Flapper warped, bent & not closing evenly maybe.
I know what you mean, you can hear the flapper "tap" closed.

bogydave said:
Did you take the cover off the stat & look in there?
Flapper warped, bent & not closing evenly maybe.
I know what you mean, you can hear the flapper "tap" closed.

Nope, didn't think of that.
I'll do it tomorrow morning... right now it's cruising on "low" at 400... just came home from work... opened the door to come inside, and WAM... I can feel all that hot air rushing out.... Then I just say yep... stove is still burning hot.

Sounds like it's working better now..250 is really low.
Are there any flames at all when on low cruise?

HotCoals said:

225-250 is where it's supposed to be on low. It has a different T-stat than the larger stoves so it has a lower min btu output but still burns clean. 400 is what it's supposed to be at on 2

No flames until about 1.75 or so normally.
Letting it burn down tonight so I can tear it apart tomorrow.

The tstat housing is covered behind the blower, so i have to take a side of the blower off to get at the housing. it all uses the #2 square drive screws... what a pain.

Hass said:
HotCoals said:

225-250 is where it's supposed to be on low. It has a different T-stat than the larger stoves so it has a lower min btu output but still burns clean. 400 is what it's supposed to be at on 2

No flames until about 1.75 or so normally.
Letting it burn down tonight so I can tear it apart tomorrow.

The tstat housing is covered behind the blower, so i have to take a side of the blower off to get at the housing. it all uses the #2 square drive screws... what a pain.

If you own a BK you have to invest in a good #2 square head screw driver, not sure why they went with that particular one.

Door gasket? Mine did the same type of thing before I replaced it...started running hotter on the same tstat setting.

lukem said:
Door gasket? Mine did the same type of thing before I replaced it...started running hotter on the same tstat setting.

Was going to post the same thing, I had to tighten my door after a week or two of use, those door gaskets wear in after short use, I has to adjust it again this year even though the gasket still looks good, but its three years of use now.. I have it tightened as far as it will go at this point.
Do the dollar bill test all around the door, sometimes it will be tight on the top and bottom but the side near the handle wont be.

Status
Not open for further replies.