BK Ashford 30 or Lopi Cape Cod?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
I'm on the fence with these two stoves. I am also looking at the BK Sirocco 30 with is the same as the Ashford 30, just different exterior design.

I have 2300 square feet to heat and want to hear what people who has personal knowledge of how both stoves preform.

I have cathedral ceilings for half the house (where the stove will be installed) so I want to make sure that the stove I purchase will meet my needs.

I've read that the cape cod will heat well but not have long burn times. I've also read the the BK's will give great heat while burn with great times, but aren't rated as high as the cape cod on heating as much square footage.

I am just looking for personal experience from people who have these stoves to tell me what they see from their respective stove, and if they think these stoves are capable of heating a 2300 square foot home with cathedral ceilings.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

The BK's should heat your house no problems. The CC are fairly new but there are some reviews on the board.

Is the Regency F5100 in the same price range? Have you found a good source for Blaze King in Reno?

I have four stoves that I can choose from due to Washoe County's Air regulations as they only allow wood stoves which emit 1.0 grams / hour or less particulate matter for a home on less than an acre.

I have a 7/10 of an acre parcel so I get to choose from BK's Chinook 30, Sirocco 30, Ashford 30 or the Lopi Cape Cod.

Reno Patio Furniture and Stove on Glendale is the only BK dealer I know of in town. Don't know too much about them other than their show room looks like a dusty storage room....

I think and hope they are just reorganizing.

Thanks for any input on these stoves.

Ps. The location on where I'm gonna put the stove is on the far side of the house opposite of the bedrooms (don't have a choice as it's the only safe and logical place).

Which of these four stoves can and will push warm air around the house to reach the bedrooms. I have ceiling fans to assist also.

I know there are a ton of variables that affect this.

Thanks

I think the three BK's are the same firebox with different outsides. If I were shopping now I'd be looking at the Sirocco or Ashford (debating on looks).

I think they all will hear in roughly the same manner, to get the heat moved around to where you want you'll have to experiment with fans, there's many threads on this and some members will be able to make suggestions, best way is to blow the cool air towards the stove and the cool air will be replaced with warm air, where to place a fan or fans will just take some experimenting once you have a stove installed but shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure any of those stoves makes less than 1 gram per hour. Do you have some sort of preapproved list that says they are "close enough"?

Do you intend to use the stove as primary heat? The flame show on the Lopi is better but it doesn't have the long burn times which make primary heating a delight.

Yes, all four of them make less than a gram per hour. 0.97 for the three BKs and 0.45 for the Lopi.

This would be a supplemental heater. Trying to reduce the gas bill with a wood stove. That's my main goal, plus I have always loved burning wood and grew up doing it.

It's almost a hobby that I miss doing.

We just started using our CC two weeks ago. This stove will put out a lot of heat. So in the shoulder season you have to make a small hot fire in the morning and leave it at that. Also the GreenStart is really nice. I set the stove up with kindling and larger splits at night. In the morning I push the button and go make tea and coffee. No smoke in the house. The compressor is a little noisy though.

I have 2300 square feet
I'm heating 2200 square feet in Indiana, we only use wood, nothing else.
Either of these stoves will do this, it's gonna come down to looks, burtimes and possibly durability. If you are gonna put a blower on it, the CC has a very quite blower. It uses a round fan instead of little squirrel cage blowers. But that really isn't too big of a deal to me.

The Cape Cod will have a very nice fire view! The Ashford has a great cat glow! If you plan on sitting in front of it watching it like a fireplace the od is your baby. The BK's don't have much of a show, that's how they get unparalleled burn times!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 300
I'm heating 2200 square feet in Indiana, we only use wood, nothing else.
Either of these stoves will do this, it's gonna come down to looks, burtimes and possibly durability. If you are gonna put a blower on it, the CC has a very quite blower. It uses a round fan instead of little squirrel cage blowers. But that really isn't too big of a deal to me.

The Cape Cod will have a very nice fire view! The Ashford has a great cat glow! If you plan on sitting in front of it watching it like a fireplace the od is your baby. The BK's don't have much of a show, that's how they get unparalleled burn times!

I heat 2300 sqft with the Cape Cod and also have it located in a room with cathedral ceilings away from the bedrooms. With good wood, the thing will heat the entire house, no problem. I had to mess with fans for a bit to get the air flowing, but that's to be expected. The fire view is fantastic and the wife and I really enjoy it. I opted for the blower and would highly recommend it. It's quiet and pumps a ton of heat. I've never owned a BK so I can't comment, but people seem to love them. I get about 10 hour burn times with the CC, which suits my needs. Good oak or locust will get about 12. Good luck and enjoy!

Spechen Sie Deutsch Herr Holzwurm?

Status
Not open for further replies.