BK: catalytic thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve19

Just a quick question.

What are the actual temperature readings on the catalytic thermometer? In other words, while I watch the red arrow slowly advance through the active stage on the thermometer, I always question what the actual temperature the stove is reading at. Any ideas? I've seen generic thermometers at my hardware store which illustrate the temperatures, are they the same ranges for the BK version?

Thanks!

steve19 said:
Just a quick question.

What are the actual temperature readings on the catalytic thermometer? In other words, while I watch the red arrow slowly advance through the active stage on the thermometer, I always question what the actual temperature the stove is reading at. Any ideas? I've seen generic thermometers at my hardware store which illustrate the temperatures, are they the same ranges for the BK version?

Thanks!
good question. not sure. but you can purchase one from condar for 20 bucks or so. i may get one as well this year. i just keep in the range of the active. not any higher and not any lower.

I remember a recent post by BKVP were he stated they were getting too many calls from people freaking out about their old cat probes that had numbers on it so they changed it. Personally I'd like to know two numbers, the light off at 500 which should be the beginning of the active zone for you and 1600 where the overfire zone should start.

The BK VP rep that posts on this site said they tried numbers on it before and their phones rang non stop. My BK probe is made by Condar, if you look at the one posted on their web-site I would wager a guess that the temp readings line up the Condar numbered ones. I can't see them making a different probe it's probably just a different face.

Condar

You are absolutely correct about the probes with degrees on the face,although I'd want one myself. According to BKtechs the catalyst can take temps up to 2200 degrees ,seems a little high they told me burn the stove and don't worry.PS where can I get one marked in degrees?

ohlongarm said:
PS where can I get one marked in degrees?

The link rdust posted has 'em, ohlo. They be about twenty bucks.

ohlongarm said:
You are absolutely correct about the probes with degrees on the face,although I'd want one myself. According to BKtechs the catalyst can take temps up to 2200 degrees ,seems a little high they told me burn the stove and don't worry.PS where can I get one marked in degrees?

Well the Blaze King techs are blowing smoke because the direct spiel from the BK cat manufacture recommend keeping the cat under 1800 and prolonged temps over 1600 degrade the life span.

i'd be wary of trying to achieve those 1600 temps with a cat to do so would likley threaten the stove itself. hottest i ever ran mine when i was burning was about 1300 and that was accidental, i backed it down asap was worried my connector pipe was gonna fail.

i used 2 of the condar cats , one on the cat another up in the connector about 2 ft up. i found temps ran fairly close together. as for what the skin temps were i never bothered to pay atention to them , i figured the stove held the wood fed the cat and the stove's manifold type blower system was heated primarily by the cat so radient wasnt somthing i paid much attention to.

Status
Not open for further replies.