BK door seal Question. ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Have been burning for a week or so.
Start a fire in the AM, with a 2/3 full box it burns about 24 hours just a few hot embers left next AM.
House in the 70 °f range. (some days it gets too warm & we open a few windows in the afternoon)
Damper setting on 1.5
When I start the new fire in the AM, get the "Cat" active & close the bypass,
after about an hour, I see a few flames in various places, on the bottom around the door seal.
Book says to turn the door latch to tighten, but one full turn seems to be to tight. I'm afraid Ill over tighten & stress the door (glass door)
I was going to try to bend the 90° "L" in just a scoosh. (take it off, put in a vise, bend with a wrench)

2nd year with the BK King, 1107 , Cat, blowers. (will be 1st full winter)

May be a non- issue, seems to be pretty small air leaks, may just leave it alone.

Leave it alone, tweak just a bit, 1 full turn on the adjustable latch???

Like my Dad used to always tell me... If it ain't broke don't F with it....

FWIW, my door doesn't need the latch, the weight of the door alone seals it. The latch barely engages when you close it which seems right given what the manual says about over tightening it. Maybe your gasket needs to be replaced? Did you do the dollar bill test?

Dollar Bill... pftt.. us Blaze King guys use $100s... Least that's how I roll... hehahahahaha.

lol, not this Blaze King guy.

Post was very much tongue in cheek. I would probably use a piece of scrap paper being afraid to shred the $1 and not have any lunch money hahahaha!

"Dollar Bill… pftt.. us Blaze King guys use $100s… Least that’s how I roll… hehahahahaha."

SolarAndWood said:
lol, not this Blaze King guy.

Not this BK guy either. Rebates, state energy credits, & tax credits, less than $700 into my stove.
I got the stove to save $$, not waste $$. Plus now I'm burning less wood, which is $$ too (I'm double dipping)

I'll try the $1 bill test when the stove has cooled down. Don't have a $100 bill anyway. :) :)

Probably going to leave it unless it gets worse. May fix itself as I burn hotter 24/7 in a month or so.

Thanks for the input & ideas.

It doesn't take much pressure to seal the door if the gasket is in good shape. Because it is only a couple years old, you might be able to "fluff" that gasket where it is leaking (if it is leaking) so that it seals better in that area. The door groove in the gasket will sometimes get to where it will not seal well. If you don't feel confident with the seal, get a new gasket, they don't cost much and not hard to replace.

daleeper said:
It doesn't take much pressure to seal the door if the gasket is in good shape. Because it is only a couple years old, you might be able to "fluff" that gasket where it is leaking (if it is leaking) so that it seals better in that area. The door groove in the gasket will sometimes get to where it will not seal well. If you don't feel confident with the seal, get a new gasket, they don't cost much and not hard to replace.

Good idea! :) :)
I'll try a shop vac to clean the grove in the seal.
That may fluff it up & get any dirt that may be contributing to the air leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.