BK install -> Price Sanity Check install cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSGAuto

Sep 23, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm purchasing a BK - King, Parlor w/ash pan, side shields, and rear fans in the near future. (thanks for helping me decide!).

I've gotten quotes on the stove itself, Roughly $3400 with tax, delivered, which is the cheapest around, the other local dealers wanted $4K.

So, I had them come out and quote the install as well. I am building the pad....so this is chimney only.

Roughly 8' interior Double wall pipe, to cathedrial cieling, out the roof (no attic space), and 12' of Class A pipe.

The total quoted cost is $6500....so minus the stove I'm looking at a $3100 install cost. (and thats the cash price)

Is it just me or does this seam high? It is an easy install.....not a tall roof, no stairs, obsticals, or anything like that.

Thanks for your time!
Jim

20 ft of 6" double wall is $2000-2500 around here for materials and installation. Add to the fact that you are using 8" and that $600 difference doesn't seem too far out of line. It is no bargain, but in my opinion, not horrible.

Ever consider doing it yourself if it is such an easy install?

(full disclosure - I had it professionally installed. Had to for ins. co.)

Double wall isn't cheap and neither is 8" Class A. Have you priced out the materials yourself? You might be able to purchase the materials then get a chimney sweep to come do the install.

If the quote breaks down materials used you can figure out what the cost of that will be and what they are charging for labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.