BK install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsk7

Aug 16, 2014
washington state
I'm going to buy a sirroco 30. I have an existing masonry chimney that my liner will go in. Chimney is surrounded by brick on the outside of the house. Do I need double wall pipe for draft purposes? I was just going to get a single wall flexliner kit. I figured the existing chimney would insulate the pipe enough.

About 18 feet
1569f611f5dda1a8737958b792db2c41.jpg

Are you talking about double wall connector? From the stove to the liner? Or trying to put class A pipe in the chimney?

I would certainly use an insulated liner if it will fit. I would also use double wall connector. BKs run with really low flue temps, and the warmer you can keep those gases, the happier your stove will be.

+1 with Jeff .... I would say if you use flex liner insulate if you can. It will ensure you get a good draft on the BK. Make sure you get the chimney swept and inspected before you reline it as well.

Your installing it as a hearth stove, through the wall into a masonry chimney? If so make sure to block off the damper on the exsisting FP

No this was built for a free standing stove one is already in place. It old and has no liner. So I'm replacing it with a new stove. I thought the existing chimney would insulate the liner well enough??

What do you mean a .5 liner? You have a few options you can use blanket insulation pour in cement and vermiculite mix or get a preinsulated liner either flex or rigid. But absolutely insulate it will work better stay cleaner be safer and is probably required by code because you probably don't have proper clearance to combustibles.

What do you mean a .5 liner? You have a few options you can use blanket insulation pour in cement and vermiculite mix or get a preinsulated liner either flex or rigid. But absolutely insulate it will work better stay cleaner be safer and is probably required by code because you probably don't have proper clearance to combustibles.

Half inch insulation blanket is what I meant. I'm just going to get a blanket. There are no clearance issues to combustibles.

So you have 1" of clearance between the outside of the chimney and any combustible material? If so you could go without insulation if you really wanted to but i would still recommend it for performance reasons

Well good i rarely see a chimney built with the proper air space between the chimney and the house it is very uncommon but like we all said it is still worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.