BK King Ultra venting: 8" round into rectangular?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David P

Nov 27, 2014
Michigan
First post; thanks to all for the incredible amount of information that has been posted here. I've been reading for 2-3 months now and your willingness to share your experiences and advice has already been incredibly helpful. Thank you.

So my question has to do with venting a Blaze King Ultra. I have a room in our basement that would seem to be a good location to place a freestanding wood stove as it is fairly centrally located, near the stairs and is fairly contained (two poured concrete walls, one drywalled bordering the stairs and one insulated). The rest of the basement is unfinished with uninsulated walls but I believe that I could fairly easily direct the heat up the stairs and also into our living room with some minor tinkering. The water heater vents into a chimney where the former owner also had his wood stove vented. There are two vents, currently capped, going into the chimney which has interior dimensions of approximately 6.75" x 10.5". I'm wondering if I can vent a BK Ultra into this chimney. I would have to enlarge one of the existing 6" vents (they go through a poured concrete wall).

I suppose I should also point out that I have another chimney in our family room which is for the gas log fireplace (never use it as it sucks heat out of the house). This chimney has interior dimensions of 10" x 10", although the flu only opens to around 5.5". I may eventually place the stove inside the fireplace but we use this room quite often in the evening and I'm way of having it get too warm. This would require a significant remodeling effort. On the positive side, if I placed it here I wouldn't have to carry wood downstairs everyday... :) A Princess Insert has been discussed as well.

Does the chimney have two separate flues for the water heater and the eventual BK stove? No two appliances can share the same flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.