BK King Ultra vs. BK King Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm in the process of replacing my pre-EPA ESW and could use some help choosing between the King Ultra and the King Classic. My installation has no clearance issues with either stove. I don't plan to use an ash tray but I would like a pedestal to raise the height of the stove. I am planning to use the fans.

Questions:

1. Can the pedestal be had without the ash tray?
2. Is the pedestal available for the Classic?
3. Are there functional considerations between these two models I need to consider besides reduced clearances for the Ultra?
4. Can someone recommend a BK dealer in IA/IL/MO?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 1107 Classic with no ash tray, NO pedestal, and blowers. I have mine blocked up another 6", so I don't need to bend over as far to tend to its few needs.

EDIT:

I forgot there were three options: legs, pedestal and classic (which kinda is a pedestal). I don't have the pedestal, just what comes on the Classic.

Cyclone Ranger said:
I'm in the process of replacing my pre-EPA ESW and could use some help choosing between the King Ultra and the King Classic. My installation has no clearance issues with either stove. I don't plan to use an ash tray but I would like a pedestal to raise the height of the stove. I am planning to use the fans.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart, since I considered just this decision. My conclusion--the Classic is set up for radiant heating (no shields or convection deck) the Ultra is set up for convective heating, aka hot air (shields and convection deck). Each can be altered to the alternate role, but that's the way the models comes configured. On to your questions...

Questions:

1. Can the pedestal be had without the ash tray?

If you mean can the Ultra be ordered without the ash tray, I'd guess not.

2. Is the pedestal available for the Classic?

Dunno again, but if the pedestal could be ordered separately that would be nice. There's a contact link on the BK site. If you find out, please post here and let us know.

3. Are there functional considerations between these two models I need to consider besides reduced clearances for the Ultra?

As above, the Ultra comes with pedestal, ash drawer and ash hatch (I believe), side shields and convection deck, and is set up for convective heating, aka hot air--which means using BK's blower, which must be purchased separately. I want to use my own ceiling fan, for quieter operation. That means running the stove without the shields and convection deck, for without BK's blower, the heat will be trapped in there, except for some natural convection. Hence I'm going with the Classic, though it would be nice to get the Ultra's pedestal for looks and 4" extra height. I'm planning on just building the hearth to whatever height I need.

4. Can someone recommend a BK dealer in IA/IL/MO?

Yes, but I don't want to advertise here (though I am not connected with any manufacturer or dealer, despite my opinions :) ). PM me if you want.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome, and good luck!

I know you can put the legs under the Classic.

FWIW, I have considered taking the sides off my ultra to reduce blower use. I think the fan deck is different with the ultra as well. The deck extends several inches in front of the the pipe instead of just blowing air across the top of the stove. Not sure what real difference it makes but it does blow a concentrated shot of hot air a long way across the room as opposed to a free standing fan which seems to spread it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.