BK Light Show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
A few folks have asked what a Blaze King looks like when its burning. Had a good show going a couple hours into the burn last night so I shot this. This is high burn with the blowers on high and about the most show I ever get. At low to medium burn, I generally just get the glow of the combustor and some glows in the bed of the fire.

Attachments

• 011312 evening load.jpg
    011312 evening load.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 332
Meh, I'll have to take some vids tomorrow. I have constant visible flames until about 1.5
Anything higher than that and it's intense.

Whenever I turn the stove down from 2->1 or 3->1.5 or so... all flames on the fuel will stop, but this big constant rolling wall of flame will be right where the air wash is on the stove. about the top 1/3 of the front door (near the cat) is just a rolling flame. Goes on for a couple of minutes, or 30+... It seems to depend on how how the firebox is. As soon as it stops, the cat temp soars.

Now that is not what I thought it would look like. I looks to me like the CAT/combusoer causes the smoke to combust like the burn tubes on my stove does. I guess i always envisioned the smoke going through a CAT and being burned.

Hass said:
Meh, I'll have to take some vids tomorrow. I have constant visible flames until about 1.5
Anything higher than that and it's intense.

Whenever I turn the stove down from 2->1 or 3->1.5 or so... all flames on the fuel will stop, but this big constant rolling wall of flame will be right where the air wash is on the stove. about the top 1/3 of the front door (near the cat) is just a rolling flame. Goes on for a couple of minutes, or 30+... It seems to depend on how how the firebox is. As soon as it stops, the cat temp soars.
Mines more like yours.
No way I can run on 3..well actually I can now because of a mod I did.

I'm really interested to know if he has that 3rd screw in the t-stat cover to stop the flapper from opening way up..I bet he does.

MarkinNC said:
Now that is not what I thought it would look like. I looks to me like the CAT/combusoer causes the smoke to combust like the burn tubes on my stove does. I guess i always envisioned the smoke going through a CAT and being burned.

If he turns it down that is what would happen.
On a long burn cruise you see no flame.

What is this 3rd screw you are talking about?

Yes, unless you have it going there isn't much reason to shoot video.

Attachments

• cat glow.jpg
    cat glow.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 268
Impressive...But are fans sposed to be that noisy? Thinkin about putting one on mine...don't know tho! Thanx Jeff

The fans were on high and I was about 2' in front of the stove. You definitely know they are on though, even when on low.

SolarAndWood said:
What is this 3rd screw you are talking about?

Yes, unless you have it going there isn't much reason to shoot video.
At the back of the stove there is two black screws that hold the cover on over the t-stat.
Towards the center of those two screws and down just a little I and at least one other on here have another screw ..silver.
That screw limits how far the flapper can open.
It is kind of crude and mine was at a upwards angle and really did nor limit the flapper.
I added my own from the top...now even on 3.5 it is really about 2.75 on mine..and I can adjust it.
My stove would really rip on 3 and I didn't like that..afraid of the wife or grandson would turn it up and walk away.

Attachments

• wood 004.jpg
    wood 004.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 207
  • wood 007.jpg
    wood 007.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 226
I don't have anything other than the 2 black screws.

SolarAndWood said:
The fans were on high and I was about 2' in front of the stove. You definitely know they are on though, even when on low.

Thanx Jeff

SolarAndWood said:
I don't have anything other than the 2 black screws.
10-4..thanks for looking.
Seems it's just the newer ones.
Do you figure you have a good draft?
Do you think your OAK makes yours not rip so much..you would think it would be the other way around if colder air has more oxygen.
Pretty sure you said you have a OAK.

No OAK. DVL straight up to Class A straight up. Probably 22' between the two.

SolarAndWood said:
No OAK. DVL straight up to Class A straight up. Probably 22' between the two.
Ok..sorry.
Someone on here has a BK on a OAK though.

Pretty sure Hiram does.

Status
Not open for further replies.