BK Princess Insert Cat completely disintegrating, can I still run it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used an old Fireview 201 for all my heating this season. Even with new cats I burnt through them. I ran that stove hard to stay warm and the old design is hard on cats.
Anyhow once I found my cat disintegrated I placed some large washers on top of the spark screen that lies horizontally before the cats. Worked just fine. Not as much heating capacity as having the cats but it's all stone and cast iron. Nothing has warped. Figured it would help baffle it down with the extra obstruction.
If the BK has regular metal in it I could see warpage occurring. YMMV

Of course it will burn without the cat. But it's not reccommended by BK. Or any other cat stove manufacturer for that matter.
You're car will also drive with flat tires..

Reactions: Ashful
I once made the same assertion, but that seems to vary with stove manufacture, and chimney height. For example, there are many running old VC's and Jotul cat stoves with no cat installed, and reporting they have no problem maintaining control of the burn with the bypass damper closed. The few I've seen report this have all had short chimneys (eg. ranchers).

Either way, BKVP says that BK's should not be run in this mode. Your Travis stove may be different, but it's not the way it was designed to be run, either way.

How do you tell when a cat is toast?

1. Visual inspection.
2. Cat probe thermometer.
3. Smoke.

Reactions: Ashful
You're car will also drive with flat tires..

If if I was stuck in a cold place in the middle of the winter I'd drive my car with flat tires too. ;) While neither are a good idea you gotta do what you gotta do.

Not going to light it until I swap out the CC. I just wanted to verify.

Reactions: webby3650
Definitely replace it. Isn't there a prorated warranty on replacement?

Definitely replace it. Isn't there a prorated warranty on replacement?

My guess is if the cat crumbled it won't be warrantied. Probably due to flame impingement or a leaky door gasket. With the pro-rated warranty I think you have to purchase the new one then get reimbursed once your cat is sent in and approved for the warranty claim. Of course I have never gone through the process so I could be completely wrong! :)

My guess is if the cat crumbled it won't be warrantied. Probably due to flame impingement or a leaky door gasket. With the pro-rated warranty I think you have to purchase the new one then get reimbursed once your cat is sent in and approved for the warranty claim. Of course I have never gone through the process so I could be completely wrong! :)

Crumbling is failure. The question is whether it was a defect of the cat or caused by the operator. The owner's manual on these stoves is very particular about draft.

Depending upon date of purchase, your combustor has two possible warranties. First, if you purchased your stove prior to March 2013, you have a 100% warranty for 3 years (that's a Federal law) and an additional 3 years prorated. Your dealer will file on your behalf. If you made your purchase after March 2013, you have a 10 year 100% warranty. Again see your dealer.

Keep in mind the warranties above apply to the OEM cat only. Subsequent warranties are 1 year from the combustor company.

Take the metal frame and what remains of the combustor to your dealer.

If you have an after market combustor, contact the company where you made your purchase.

Final note, you'll need your serial number of the back of your stove at the time you file your warranty claim.

I'm happy to discuss failures to reduce chances of repeat failure. 509-522-2730....when I'm in the office .

Off to Michigan!

if you purchased your stove prior to March 2013, you have a 100% warranty for 3 years

What changed in the law if one purchased the stove after March 2013?

Nothing! We did it voluntarily.

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.