BK princess insert newbe..... Could use some help (long intro)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdibiasio

Oct 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Well today was a very good day for me- finally got to try my first burn with my BK Insert. I have been out of the country working 6 out of the past 7 weeks so when I arrived in Boston last night I could instantly tell the difference in temp from when I left in early September. I just knew that today would be the day to fire off the new stove. I am not new to wood burning, have heated my 2400sq home primarily with wood for the past 10 years (lopi freedom insert). After ten years of hard use, and some abuse as a new wood burner the early years, I decided this past summer to upgrade everything. I lined the flue with an insulated heavy flex, fabbed a block off plate, replaced the rain cap with a 16" high SS cap to ensure proper height for the liner, and of course the new BK...

So I could use some basic guidance to properly learn how to use this heater. I of course read the manual and followed the steps listed for first fire- that was after conducting the dollar bill test on all 4 sides of the door. No adjustment needed. I opened the bypass, put the air control on max, and lit the crumpled paper and kinderlin leaving the door closed but not latched. After it took off and the thermostat was just at the active line, I closed the bypass and turned on the fan. I was simply amazed, like a kid with a new toy, when the cat became active. After about 30 min I started to dial back the air control, about 2 positions at a time. Then after about 45 min all hell broke loose.... The smoke detectors in the house were going off and my wife was walking around with her fingers in her ears.... I opened up all the doors and windows and put an industrial exhaust fan on to pull out the smoke. Now I knew what the cause was, curing paint, but did not expect to actually see blowing smoke from were the blower air comes from. After about 20 min of windows and doors open, things started to settle down.

I am now looking to better understand how I should run this stove from the beginning, I don't want to repeat the abuse I put my lopi through 10 years ago. Here are a few questions I have, also anyone with words of advise for how to dial in my procedures would be very much welcome. Oh and one word on the wood I burn, I buy my wood in tree length and process myself, cut split and stacked in wood shed for minimum of 20-24 months. (Mixed oak, ash, maple) so it is in pretty good shape.

Once the cat is active, should I keep dialing the air back until I see no flames on the wood? Or will the coils self adjust - I really don't understand how this work....
Is the objective to find the point were the cat is glowing 100% of the time? If so do I keep adjusting the air to maintain a glow?
Do you really have to match the fan speed to the approximate setting of the air control?
Once I am burning 24x7 - is it possible to just reload and keep the air control in one position?
When I close the bypass it seems to stop a little before fully closed, I have to push it the last little bit to get it seal completely - is this normal?
Is it normal to hear a low whistling (for lack of a better word) coming from the air control side of the stove?

Now I know everyone's situation is unique, but I am hoping to get some good advise to dial in my procedures for using this new stove and some answers to my initial questions.

Thanks in advance

TomD

Last edited:
Run it how you like fella.

Try it at different settings at different ambient temps.

No rules set in stone as all sets ups are different. Just make sure to throw the by-pass when you open the door.

I had visible smoke coming of the stove durning break in. Wonderful stuff.

The setting can be your preference. Personally, I like the smallest flame possible just for entertainment. Most people do go with the black box. We start with the air all the way open, and then turn it down in small increments to where we want it. Once it gets close sometimes I even turn it down by sound: click click click wait a few minutes, click click click ...

Our cat usually doesn't glow much, but the temp shows it is in the upper half. Lots of posts say no glow is ok.

On the fan speed, we usually did the opposite. Put the fan on low for reduced noise and I don't like circulating lots of air on the windows, then adjusted temp for how much heat from there. A couple times we ran the fan higher for a few minutes when the cat thermometer would get to the uppermost range.

We don't burn 24/7 so no idea there.

Our bypass seems to close with a sorta heavy clunk, so I don't know about that, either.

Ayiyi, the whistling wind! It always seems to be where I want to set it. I just adjust up or down a little depending on which temp would be better.

The setting can be your preference. Personally, I like the smallest flame possible just for entertainment. Most people do go with the black box. We start with the air all the way open, and then turn it down in small increments to where we want it. Once it gets close sometimes I even turn it down by sound: click click click wait a few minutes, click click click ...

Our cat usually doesn't glow much, but the temp shows it is in the upper half. Lots of posts say no glow is ok.

On the fan speed, we usually did the opposite. Put the fan on low for reduced noise and I don't like circulating lots of air on the windows, then adjusted temp for how much heat from there. A couple times we ran the fan higher for a few minutes when the cat thermometer would get to the uppermost range.

We don't burn 24/7 so no idea there.

Our bypass seems to close with a sorta heavy clunk, so I don't know about that, either.

Ayiyi, the whistling wind! It always seems to be where I want to set it. I just adjust up or down a little depending on which temp would be better.

The whistling drove me crazy! It would whistle no matter where I set the stat once the flapper closed to a certain point. The fix is aluminum tape, put a small square over the hole and then punch the hole with a screwdriver. It seemed to diffuse the air just enough to get rid of the whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.