BK Princess Insert Smoke in the Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. It's not that much of an angle, but I'm sure the slope doesn't help matters any.

I still never get any spillage unless I rip the door open. I can leave the door wide open while I stand there sweeping up the hearth. My chimney isn't super tall, maybe 16' total.

I think it's a Princess thing. Maybe the bigger pipe moving a larger volume of air? Dunno, but I don't see many complaints from King owners.

This is true, I rarely see a King owner talk about smoke spillage, it seems to be the Princess crowd.

I like to go up on the roof and manually clear out the little gap between the flashing cone and the roofing. It doesn't take much debris there to cause a roof leak and I hate roof leaks.

I guess I'm stuck climbing onto the roof then.

I like to go up on the roof and manually clear out the little gap between the flashing cone and the roofing. It doesn't take much debris there to cause a roof leak and I hate roof leaks.

I guess I'm stuck climbing onto the roof then.
That's why I always fill that little void with roofing cement, just on the upper part.

That's why I always fill that little void with roofing cement, just on the upper part.

When I've had to "fix" this the leak is usually on the sides. The water goes sideways under the roofing instead of down the flashing. I have learned from some great roofers to never use cement on anything except the last four nails on the cap. And those are the only nails you should see.

When I've had to "fix" this the leak is usually on the sides. The water goes sideways under the roofing instead of down the flashing. I have learned from some great roofers to never use cement on anything except the last four nails on the cap. And those are the only nails you should see.
Unfortunately it's not the "great roofers" that get the call when it leaks. It's the chimney guys that have to fix it. Cement will prevent it from ever happening. It's kind of like a mason that never recommends a cap, then the sweep has to set them up with one.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobdog2o02
Unfortunately it's not the "great roofers" that get the call when it leaks. It's the chimney guys that have to fix it. Cement will prevent it from ever happening. It's kind of like a mason that never recommends a cap, then the sweep has to set them up with one.

There are hacks in every profession. Many of them don't even realize it.

Reactions: webby3650
Quick update, used the sooteater after a good cleaning problem has been solved and fire is burning full speed once again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.