BK Princess Insert-What's the deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2015
Southwest Virginia
Ok, so what's the deal with the princess insert? Why does this stove boast almost double the burn time of any other insert out there. I know it won't be a hot fire, but why is it so much longer? And why is it so unattractive?:p

Bimetallic coil thermostatic air control that works, coupled with a catalytic combustor in a well designed stove. The catalyst lowers the combustion temperature of the smoke, giving clean burns at lower temps compared to a tube type stove. And some claim alien technology.

Keep in mind those long burn times are at low output. Hot fires are about as long as most other stoves.

I think the geometry of the firebox contributes to the performance, and the funky shape. It's all about airflow.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I think the design is more heritage. Similar good results have been achieved by other BK designs without the take-out box body.

And why is it so unattractive?

Milton1.jpg

;lol

I think the design is more heritage. Similar good results have been achieved by other BK designs without the take-out box body.

Are you sure the "take out body" isn't just hidden under the fancy cladding on those newer models?

I too couldn't believe how much better the performance specs were for the bk stoves. Once I was assured that they really were that much better I sold my stove and upgraded to the bk. No regrets at all.

Yes those long burn times are real, and yes this is extremely important.

Reactions: blueguy
I've only compared the Princess to the Ashford. The firebox shape looked different and has a different firebrick pattern, but I would defer to Chris for the final word there.

The shape IS integral to performance. Jeff T hit the nail on the head. The fact at 12.75" of the firebox is in front of the shroud greatly improves heat transference into the living quarters. Flush mounts, like our Briarwood, compete with the heat sink that is a masonry chimney when they are totally flush.

Reactions: YAGER85
What are realistic burn times for a princess insert? I know the firebox is smaller than the Princess stand alone unit, and those burn times are ridiculous.

Shoulder season, minimum btu output on 50-60 lbs of fuel. Same load on high (which is very hot), 6-8 hours. The thermostat acts as a shock absorber to the very nature of our unmetered fuel...cordwood. :)

On low...probably 24 hours on high 6 to 8.

My king model is about 37 on low 12 on high.

I ran my insert for the first time last winter. I was 18-20hrs during shoulder season and 9-12 hrs in the dead of winter. It was a long winter in New England last year. Sure glad I had it!!

Thanks for the report tigger. That is about what I would expect.

I've only compared the Princess to the Ashford. The firebox shape looked different and has a different firebrick pattern, but I would defer to Chris for the final word there.
Not even my two Ashfords have the same firebrick pattern, so I don't think that's a key part of the design.

That surprises me, particularly with the brick pattern laid out in the manual. Is there a big difference in production date or just a human error?

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 7.12.35 PM.png

This is interesting, begreen. Neither of my stoves match that pattern. On both, the floor is laid out differently.

Actually, what bothers me far more is that one of my stoves has enough firebrick across the back wall to completely fill the back wall, but the other does not. They must have used different firebricks between the two, or the firebox sizes must be different. It is very noticeable, when looking at the brick patterns, as the one stove has big gaps between bricks where you can see the steel body of the firebox between, and there aren't enough bricks to keep them all locked in place without moving around. Never having had a brick/steel stove before, assumed maybe they were just all like that, but now that I'm comparing the two I can see one is definitely set up much better.

Both came from the factory with bricks installed, so it's not an issue of operator / store setup mistake. Might be time to ask BKVP about this.

Both came from the factory with bricks installed

Could it be that they not came that way from the factory but from the stove shop you bought them from?

Curiosity just got the best of me, so I started taking some quick measurements, among the filth in the firebox. The first brick I measured, one of the 9" x 4-1/2" bricks on the back wall, is only 4-1/4" wide. That's probably part of the problem. However, I just pulled up the other half of the diagram you showed above, begreen, and there are other problems. For example, the four 4-1/2" size A's that make up the side measure 17-1/2" total, such that the sides don't even overlap the type SI bricks in the diagram, as they should to keep them in place. Seems ALL of the bricks in my one stove are running 1/8" to 1/4" small, which seems to be the reason they won't stay where they should, in the pattern given here:

http://www.blazeking.com/PDF/Brick layouts.pdf

The result is that I can't keep the two SI's and one QC block where they should be, in the ash lip area. I made due by pulling the SI's apart, to keep the sides in place (four A's), but this leaves a big 2" gap in front, around QC. That's probably not good. Of course, if I set it up the way it's shown, due to the undersized bricks, the A's along the sides can move around and leave big gaps on the sides of the stove, which I figure might be worse.

I think it's time I contact BK to ask for a set of properly sized bricks. It's just a shame I ran this new stove in June, since it will be a very messy job, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.