BK Princess is IN..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
First thoughts:

Heats well, wood last considerably longer than in the buck.

I wasn't aware I would still get secondary flames, strangely they are stronger in the BK..

Wife LIKES the looks, how bout that..

I am on the second burn, and I am keeping the temps low because of that but its amazing how much heat comes off this thing.. I have not put a full load in this thing but I'm already worried it will run us out of here. Low tonight of 24* here, right now its 35* outside, 80 downstairs and 68 upstairs. Thermostat is on about 1.8 and I've only put about 5 splits in it to run on since 5 pm-- they are 75% intact as of now. I will put up some pics as soon as I get a minute.

Jason

congrats on getting up a running
love to see some picts

Very cool. your going to love that thing let me tell ya. definitely get some pics up.

After 9 hours (loaded at 11pm and just checked it) on 1.25 or so I still have a 300* stovetop and probably enough wood for several more hours of heat.. Turned it up to 2.5 and within 15 minutes I have a 450-500* top and its throwing out enough heat to raise the basement thermo from 71-76.. I'm happy, the wife is happy and all is well.. I don't think I could have bought a better stove for my situation..

Jason

the stove really is amazing. i loaded her up last night at 9. now i won load it again until about 2 or 3 then thats it for today. ill do it tomorrow morning then again late tomorrow night. every other day i load it only once a day. its crazy that after a 12 hour burn on low you can open her up and stir the coals and get more substantial heat out of it.

kinda hard to tell but thats how much is left after 13 hours!! on low burn.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 368
Stove is running GREAT.. I find myself wondering why I didn't do this the first time. I only have so much good seasoned wood (yrs old oak) so I am mixng in my 1 year seasoned stuff oak about half and half-- seems to be working fine. Next year will be even better. One buddy has already broke down and ordered one, I bet it will sell a couple more before the end of the season. Thanks again to everyone on here who recommended this stove.

Jason

jtb51b said:
Stove is running GREAT.. I find myself wondering why I didn't do this the first time.

Congrats on the stove Jason. And don't be too hard on yourself, you aren't the only one wondering this. I also find myself wondering why I didn't do it the second time either. Third time is a charm though.

Its a great stove, especially for this time fo the year, you only have to load it twice, maybe once depending on the temps but if its cold it will crank out the heat for a long time, whenh its below 20 I load three times a day and let it rip all three times. Definately a good experience for this first time burner.

SolarAndWood said:
jtb51b said:
Stove is running GREAT.. I find myself wondering why I didn't do this the first time.

Congrats on the stove Jason. And don't be too hard on yourself, you aren't the only one wondering this. I also find myself wondering why I didn't do it the second time either. Third time is a charm though.

i know the feeling to. Cant dwell on the past. Ha oh well lesson learned

jtb. I see nuttin'.

Congrats
BKs are like that, they'll run you out or make you open windows.
I'm learning & experimenting on burning cooler.
I'm trying now just put in 3 splits now that it's in the 20s at night so not to overheat the house.
So far so good, almost 24 hours with 3 splits.
I also burn the longer splits (22" to 24", 3 at a time) E/W close to the front, on low.
Learning to burn small loads, low & slow is taking a while but i'm getting there.

i to have been experimenting with the long cool burns. trying to get as much out of it as i can. and the new trick by leaving the fans off is awesome. got my first 24 hour burn. was still in the active zone when i reloaded after 24 hours.

ecocavalier02 said:
got my first 24 hour burn. was still in the active zone when i reloaded after 24 hours.

Pretty cool huh? After I get all my junk wood burned, I will be going back to 24 hour burn cycles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.