BK Princess no orange glow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Started the BK Princess this morning. Put in some super dry kindling and a couple of splits of approx 2 yr dry maple. Waited till the needle of the gauge was in the 'active' range before closing. I like to check the catalyst visually and there isn't an orange glow this morning. There was some glow for awhile but now I don't see any. The gauge points to the mid 'active' range. This is like only my 5th or 6th fire in this stove. The glow was there with each previous fire. Does it sound like I did something wrong? Plus in the past the needle of the gauge would go way up in the active range so that is different.

TIA

The cat isn't always going to glow, as long as the needle is still in the active range I wouldn't sweat it. If the cat probe goes inactive and you still have unburnt fuel it could be a problem but I suspect everything is ok. What setting are you burning on?

It doesn't sound like a big load so there may not be a lot smoke to keep the cat bright and active.

Thanks rdust. My impatience is showing this morning. I just added a few more splits and after opening the cat and damper and adding the wood the cat is glowing now. New to cat stoves so I am on the low side of the learning curve.

If you read the manual (who does that?) it says its not always glowing as Rdust says, but its still working if its in the active zone. As long as its putting out heat and theres no smoke coming out the flue your golden.

If you read the manual (who does that?) it says its not always glowing as Rdust says, but its still working if its in the active zone. As long as its putting out heat and theres no smoke coming out the flue your golden.

Manual? I don't need no stinking manual...

rdust quote from other thread "Everyone get their game faces on we will be helping a bunch of new frustrated burners before long. ::-) "

Seriously, thanks for the info weatherguy and rdust.

Signed, a new frustrated burner :oops:

Seriously, thanks for the info weatherguy and rdust.

Signed, a new frustrated burner :oops:

No worries, that's what this site is all about. I was talked off the ledge many times my first season by the members of this site.

No worries, that's what this site is all about. I was talked off the ledge many times my first season by the members of this site.
;lol Me too, thats why I try and pass on the little bit of knowledge Ive learned here, still have a lot more to learn but this is the right place.

Bill, you do sound very much like others. It is natural to wonder. You'll do fine.

Did you get any of that sleet they were predicting?

Status
Not open for further replies.