BK Princess Parlor - Double Wall issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question for all you experts here. I see the collar on the stove has three holes in it for screwing into single wall i'm assuming. Using the double wall stove adapter, do I screw through the adapters holes into the collar? I foresee some pilot holes being drilled...

Another question for all you experts here. I see the collar on the stove has three holes in it for screwing into single wall i'm assuming. Using the double wall stove adapter, do I screw through the adapters holes into the collar? I foresee some pilot holes being drilled...

I do not believe that my BK's collar had the holes in the collar. I know I did not and would not screw double wall into the stove collar because as you tighten the screws you would crush the outer shell of the double wall. All of my stove installs have been inspected and passed without being screwed at that location though they were also vertical jobs with no bends. With single wall pipe, yes it makes more sense.

I've installed about a dozen BK's and they all had holes in the flue collar. You can screw through double wall if you pre-drill, just don't over tighten, as this will crush the outer wall. It takes some good measuring, because you can't see the holes after the pipe is on, but it can be done. I use an Ameri-vent stovepipe adapter, it fits into the stove collar and right in between the inner and outer walls. It fits real nice, it can be screwed into the flue collar, then the pipe put over it, then you can screw the double wall pipe to it.

I can verify that one hole was predrilled in the front my collar and if the others were predrilled then they were not at the 1/3 points. Also, the hole looks HUGE. Way bigger than the normal stove screws.

Attachments

• balls 139.jpg
    balls 139.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 87
I can verify that one hole was predrilled in the front my collar and if the others were predrilled then they were not at the 1/3 points. Also, the hole looks HUGE. Way bigger than the normal stove screws.
They would be "huge". It's not meant to have the the screw threaded into it, instead the screw is meant to pass through the collar and into the stovepipe.

Well yeah, and with it being huge you should have an easier time hitting it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'd be pretty lost without all the good, and namely quick, advice. Got the stove fired up this morning, still going strong on only a few splits of wood. Got another question though, just when I thought I had things figured out. For all of you who have Blaze Kings, at what range on the cat gauge do you usually run? I have the thermostat at 2 - 2.5 and the cat-gauge is at 2 O'clock. I'm concerned that if I wanna run it hotter for a while the gauge will go past the active zone, and I'm not really sure if that's dangerous.

Again, thanks in advance for all the help.

Cat probe runs at the top of the active range for at least the first half of the burn and I burn at the 1.5 setting which is as low as I can go without stalling the cat. The cat seems to easily fly to the max temp.

Following the directions would indicate that the only time you should care about what the cat probe says is when you are deciding when to close the bypass. After that, just let it eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.