BK Princess using a 6" flue? (Not a new princess, an old 8" model)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

It's been asked and discussed here several times. I am very interested in buying a BK Princess and I only have a 6" flue? The benefits of the stove come from using a 8" flue, but having said that, I am not looking for 30 hr burns. Half of that would still be very acceptable. It is not a new model. Has no window and ceramic inserts. Owned by an elderly woman who has owned it since new. Professionally cleaned yearly. Everything still works and functions. Very clean for its age (minimal use). The Princess now uses a 6" flue?? So, it has me wondering and scratching my head.

I have had the 30-NC going on 3 seasons. It drafts like a monster. After reading and seeing where most set there draft on one, I seem to have to close mine more (1/4"-1/2" out from full closed position is where I let it ride). My Flue consists of this (all double wall in basement) Off the stove I have a appliance adapter w/ key damper, to a 4ft section of Vertical double wall Simpson, 90* to a 3ft section of Horizontal double wall ( 1/4" rise or more per ft), and then the clean-out T with 18' of Class A straight up. Never had a draft issue, never had smoke come into the basement. Runs like a freight train!!

What's the worst that would happen if I used a 8" to 6" reducer right off the stove? Even with the good draft inhave, i could help it by going to 2- 45's instead of the 90*? Even if I couldn't lower the air as low as an 8" flue, it still holds more wood than the 30-NC and this would allow the 30 to come upstairs (tear out Pre fab fireplace) next year or round abouts... :cool:.

Sorry for the novel. I know some have done it. Just wondering what the results were? I could see if I only had a 10' section and the 30 ran like garbage. But the addition of a Flue damper was needed for the cold nights and windy days. Even closed completely the 30-NC could get away under the right conditions.

Been wanting a BK Princess, but the price on this one can't be beat and the condition is fantastic. They have now gone to a 6" and wondered if any old ones can now be fitted to a 6"?

Thanks for any help.... Or suggestions....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Owned by an elderly woman?? Did she just use it to go to the Post Office??
I think you have an elderly winner there. Nice find, it looks brand new. I think what you plan on doing will work.;):cool:

It is not a point of having "good draft" At start up, a 6" flue and an 8" flue have identical draw speeds. It is when the fire is damped down that things become more pertinent draft wise. 8" then begins to draw more. There are ways to temper draft speeds such as with a stove pipe damper or barometric flue damper as you know. The trick is not to let your heat go up the chimney. The new and biggest Blaze Kings have an 8" flue because the design of the stove with catalytic converter draws so slowly that they need the extra draft of the 8" flue and if you have more than two 90* elbows, these will not draft properly. Blaze King actually prefers that you have a straight shot of pipe right through the roof with no elbows. Your older Princess is not as efficient as the new ones so that is why they now have a 6" flue. Their burn boxes are not as large. The larger the wood burn box, the larger the flue needs to be.The only "benefit" to an 8" flue would be to exhaust the gasses from a full load of wood. Of course they manufacture the stove for the person who will always pack the stove to its wood limit. If you do not load it full all the time, you can most certainly get away with a 6" flue.

Reactions: Defiant
That's just it. If I have to give it more air (thermostat opened more than average) then thats fine also.

If it's using a 6" flue now and can run efficiently? It should be o.k...?

Hello,
I think arro222 summed it up pretty good for you:cool:

The stove came with an 8" flue correct? It is probably bigger than a 3 cu ft burn box. By adding more air, you'll get a faster draft and also hotter flue exhaust. The new Princesses have a 6" flue and they are more efficient than the old ones unless BK is not stating something which I doubt. As I stated earlier: there are only two possible reasons your stove has an 8" flue. 1. It has a large firebox. 2. It has a slow draw because of the exhaust path and converter. To be sure, call up Blaze King and ask for Chris. He'll give you the complete scoop. Chris told me not to get a Blaze King Ultra because I have too many turns or elbows. He did suggest that I find an older BK as they drew faster and weren't as efficient as the new ones. Your Princess is in line with the older stoves he mentioned to me.

I believe the PEJ 1000 came around 1983. Not sure of firebox size? Although I would guess it to be inline with what us out there now?

As good a draft as I have, I would think my good 6" system, is better than a low flowing 8" system (just around there min flue height, or 10'-12')?

After reading the manual, I

I believe the PEJ 1000 came around 1983. Not sure of firebox size? Although I would guess it to be inline with what us out there now?

As good a draft as I have, I would think my good 6" system, is better than a low flowing 8" system (just around there min flue height, or 10'-12')?

After reading the manual, I

Some stoves need a lower or slower moving draft with additional volume to make up for the slower draft. The new biggest BK's are like this. They do this to extract as much heat as possible and have it stay at the stove for better heat production. With your stove, I'd lean that it has the larger flue because of the bigger firebox. If it is not filled to capacity, then you may be able to get more heat out of it than with the 8" flue.

Thanks... I will try and call Chris at BK. Also, BKVP is a member here. I may PM him?

The great thing about this site is you will get lots of opinions and assistance.

Truth be told, we made all the older models 8" because that was the size we liked using; one size fits all and fewer parts to make.

Currently, with the very critical nature of the test methods and standards, we have found the current models of stoves (other than the King) work just fine on 6". The model you purchased will run just fine on 6", however, you sure do have a less than optimal configuration.

Horizontal runs of such length do not work too well with most wood stoves. (Especially more efficient models).

Optimally, you would relocate the stove closer to be centered under your exit. Then I would state you're likely to have a great deal of satisfaction.

Chris

Reactions: DexterDay
The great thing about this site is you will get lots of opinions and assistance.

Truth be told, we made all the older models 8" because that was the size we liked using; one size fits all and fewer parts to make.

Currently, with the very critical nature of the test methods and standards, we have found the current models of stoves (other than the King) work just fine on 6". The model you purchased will run just fine on 6", however, you sure do have a less than optimal configuration.

Horizontal runs of such length do not work too well with most wood stoves. (Especially more efficient models).

Optimally, you would relocate the stove closer to be centered under your exit. Then I would state you're likely to have a great deal of satisfaction.

Chris

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Thats the answer I was looking for. Although its not optimal, I am thinking it will put a smile on my face :)

There are plenty of stoves that used 8" pipes way back in the old pre-epa smoke dragon days. If you wanted to sell stoves, you made yours with an 8" flue to match those existing chimneys. The NC30 has 3.5 CF of firebox and uses a 6" flue. The reasons for 8" vs. 6" are more complex and not always scientific.

Status
Not open for further replies.