BK princess vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstorms

Nov 29, 2008
Missouri
Just purchased this BK princess Parlor. ($2400 including fan) Took out a Old Earth Stove. Took me a year to save up and pay for this but I'm super excited to use it! Question is:

My old stove had single wall 22ga up to Ceiling then went to triple wall. The BK says you should use Double wall pipe inside to ceiling but it also references single wall in clearance's. I have plenty of space from vent pipe to wall (30"). I used single wall on the old Earth Cat Stove for 5 years. Has anyone used single wall on the Bk's? Does this affect the burn times or efficiency?
Thanks in advanced. This site has been a great help.

BK recommends double wall because of the already low flue temps. If you don't have some crazy run of pipe, like a cathedral ceilng or something, try it. If you have any draft issues, you can always change it out.

Thanks Jeff. I don't think I'll have draft issues. Same install as before I need 50" of stove pipe. I was more worried about it affecting burn times. You said they recommend because of low flue temps. What would happen on the single wall with "lower flue temps"?

Double wall will keep your flue temps warmer, in a short run of stove pipe dont think you will see much of a difference.

Reactions: HDRock
The problem with low draft caused by bends or an especially cold flue is that the stove will leak out the door more. I say MORE because even with a "spec" chimney you are likely to get smoke from the front door when opening it.

Burn times should be unaffected with single wall vs. double wall for a 50" all vertical flue. Your low burn stat setting may be different than it would be if you did have double wall.

What kind of chimney do you have above the single wall? That length may help overcome any losses from the single wall.

I am not an expert on this subject , as some here are but, I can tell you, I was at a dealer last week, they have 60 units on display, wood, electric, and gas, they had a Princess there, hooked up to a chimney with SW pipe , because of the capabilities of that stove , when it is set on low you can touch your hand on that single wall pipe without burning it.
So what I am thinking is why would you need double wall pipe , for start up maybe, but then again that depends on your installation I guess , IDK , like I said I am not an expert .
If you would like to call that dealer and ask some questions ,( believe me these people would be happy to answer your questions), PM me and I will give you the number .
Edit : this set up at the dealer is with an 8 foot ceiling

It's important to keep the flue gasses as warm as possible, since Blaze King is capable of running such a low temp in the flue it's a good idea to run double wall. Just because you can leave your hand on the pipe doesn't mean that it isn't losing an important amount of heat. A flue that is too cool can cause excessive creosote build up and poor draft.

That being said, I ran single wall on my King and didn't experience any problems and it had plenty of heating ability to spare!

That being said, I ran single wall on my King and didn't experience any problems and it had plenty of heating ability to spare!
:confused:

Reactions: oldspark
IMHO if I were going straight up I'd try single wall, a couple 90 bends I'd go double wall. You do see a little more heat in the room with single wall.

You do see a little more heat in the room with single wall.
One, of the reasons I did not go DW with my recent install.

One, of the reasons I did not go DW with my recent install.
I have heard this a lot, but I have never thought I had anymore heating capability with single wall than with double. At any given moment I have a stove with double and a stove with single.

I have heard this a lot, but I have never thought I had anymore heating capability with single wall than with double. At any given moment I have a stove with double and a stove with single.
It does happen, one person took his double wall out because he missed the heat from his single wall, many many varibles, makes heating with wood interesting.

Humm , It is simple, DW keeps heat in the pipe .
Does It not ???

Humm , It is simple, DW keeps heat in the pipe .
Does It not ???
Yes, but I'm heating with a woodstove that's under that pipe. The heat that comes off of that pipe is so insignificant compared to the heat coming from the stove.
Double wall also Increases the efficiency of the stove, increasing its temperature. Some stoves require greater clearances with double wall pipe because of this.

Yes, but I'm heating with a woodstove that's under that pipe. The heat that comes off of that pipe is so insignificant compared to the heat coming from the stove.
Double wall also Increases the efficiency of the stove, increasing its temperature. Some stoves require greater clearances with double wall pipe because of this.
4 or 5 feet of pipe wont do much for ya or agin ya either way.

You can also buy stainless steel single wall pipe so it should last just as long as the much more expensive double wall. A properly sized stove will heat the area without needing to depend on the heat from the stovepipe. If you think you need more heat than the stove can provide then you bought the wrong stove, don't blame the pipe.

When I burned a non-cat, I would unhappily watch the 800-1000 degree flue gasses blowing up the flue and wish I wasn't wasting all of that heat. A single wall pipe might allow me to reclaim some of the lost heat and increase efficiency of the system. With a BK, the heat has already been extracted. If you take more out then you risk negative side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.