BK Royal Heir 2100 Bypass Lever Broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wearybuck

Nov 11, 2012
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fix the bypass lever on my Royal Heir 2100. When I try to engage the cat nothing happens in the stove. I am wondering if someone would know how I go about trying to fix this problem or If someone has done it before. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

You need to find out what part of the mechanism is broken. Blaze King has excellent customer support, give them a call.

I doubt there would be any parts available for purchase, but a reasonably good metal worker could fabricate or repair just about anything in that mechanism. Even a hack like me could repair most of those parts. Getting to some of them will be the trick.

I will say that the linkage from the handle to the bypass has a couple of links that could very well have slipped out of place in a couple of spots. The bypass door is a plate that swivels on a bolt, the plate has a pin that sticks up, and the linkage is attached to that pin. The linkage is basically flat iron using leverage and hinge points to move the bypass door. Not the easiest to describe, but simple enough to figure out once you look at it.

If you are mechanically inclined, this is where to start. Take the stove pipe off, and look through the hole, the linkage is secured to the bypass door with a cotter pin that might have slipped off, it would also be possible that the pin that is welded to the bypass door has broken off, and will need to be welded back on. The whole mechanism is not all that complicated, but if you see that everything looks good from the top, you will need to remove the side shielding to get to the rest of the linkage, and that will take a square driver instead of a standard screwdriver, and quite a bit of patience to see how they got those levers into such tight spaces. On mine, the little panel beside the door comes off first, and then the side shield. Top would be much more involved. I'm going off memory, it's been a couple of years since I have done this.

Your 2100 is a bigger stove than my 2200. The bigger stove has been known to run hot enough that it can warp the top steel plate of the firebox, causing the bypass to leak, thus not running all the air through the cat. That is something you might want to check out while you are working on it, and may choose not to spend much money on it. Even my 2200 had a bit of warp to it when I bought it, but I got it straightened out enough that bypass air is not too big an issue.

Good luck.

How are you getting along, wearybuck?

Had a chance to pull the pipe yet?

Take photo's and ask questions, we're here to help.

How are you getting along, wearybuck?

Had a chance to pull the pipe yet?

Take photo's and ask questions, we're here to help.

Thanks a bunch! I haven't had the time to take the stove pipe off but I'm hoping I will have time this weekend. I'm going to start were you suggested and will let you know what happens. Thanks again!

Jon

If you call BK ask for Chris, he knows these stoves inside out and can fix anything.

I got it fixed. Finally had some time to work on it and the stove is back to working great. I removed a piece of broken cat that was getting in the way. The linkage looked like it was still in good shape and doesn't look like it will be very hard to fix if it ever fails, which according to blaze king will eventually happen with the cotter pins in the linkage.

Thanks again

Reactions: fox9988
Status
Not open for further replies.