BK spring cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
First, I wasted about five minutes brushing the pipe.
But, I have pretty serious amounts of creosote inside the stove, behind the baffles on the sides and back. Hard to clean out, because they're welded in. I guess I could try to burn it out, but I already plugged the pipe up to keep tbe birds out. Plus, we're looking at 70's and 80's for at least the next ten days. Anyone have any tips on digging it out?

Stupid cat stove.

"First, I wasted about five minutes brushing the pipe."

How will you remember how to do it, if you don't do it?
And, since you have the BKK, after every 5 years, you may forget there's even a flue.;) Just do it.

It just seems odd to have about 40x more creosote in the stove than in the chimney.

Burning it would involve another trip to the roof to remove the plug from the chimney. Maybe if we get a somewhat cool day soon. If not, I guess I'll worry about it next year. Looking at 90's now for the weekend.
I'm not sure why these baffles aren't removable. I suppose they are necessary for clearance testing, and then someone would take them out and leave them out.

Behind my side baffles was also a mess. The Princess may be different but I was able to clean it pretty good by using a screw driver, putty knife and my fingers to dig it out. It may not be perfect but close enough. I don't think a hot fire will help too much since it's behind the baffles it would probably take more than just one hot fire to do what you need.

Perhaps you can tell us why you believe that you must remove creosote from a firebox. Do you think that the creosote will somehow spontaneously combust? Corrode your firebox? Attract mice?

I suppose I should have also asked if I should even worry about it. It's my understanding that the by-products of combustion can have corrosive properties, especially when combined with the humdity of the summer months when the stove isn't in use. And it is a lot of buildup. Big, thick flakes and chunks of shiny black stuff. Too many two-day burns, I suppose.

I have a stove built in 1985. The interior has buildup all year long and at the end of the burning season.
I don't think the PO's ever cleaned the inside, nor have I other than scooping out ashes and vacuuming. I also pull the firebrick to check for cracks (this was a serious problem for me at first). I've used it for the last 6 winters.
This is not to say you shouldn't, just that It's probably not needed.
Burn a bit hotter for a few days this fall, and check it again.
I wasn't suggesting to burn it now, since you'd already mentioned putting in the plug. That would be bad.:eek: Do you not have a cap? No screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.