bk still amazes me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Put this load in last night 2 year old oak and beach at 1130 and this morning its 830 and i still have 79 in basement and 70 first floor. and its 8 degrees out. stove top still at 350 with fan on low. turn t stat all the way up when woke up at 7 and still get a ton of heat out of the load. just amazes me that almost 10 hours later the amount of heat out of this thing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 431
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 412
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 423
lol, sounds like you got up and had your Kool-Aid already. Amazes me too, I'm not sure I need a boiler any more.

Yu guys are annoying, :). How big is your house, I see you have the Princess.

Loaded at 8pm last night,8 year old white oak as hard as concrete,fan on low, this morning at 8am house 74,back of house 68 over 60 feet from stove.Temps at night 10* with wind,just threw in about 3 splits which will take us into evening.House is 1600 sq feet and alot of huge Pella windows.

oldspark said:
lol. about 1600 square feet.

looks like i need to adjust the time on my thermostats. thats how i often i use them. lol

show offs :lol: . gotta get me some....my furnace kicked on this morning cause i slept in. my little Jotul ran out of wood and guess the coals couldn't keep up. only had the furnace set down to 65. on work days, i go to bed at 2100, wife and 2300 and i get up by 0200 and feed the fire on my way out. she keeps the home fire burning during the day. i use so mujch less wood with just the Jotul heating the upstairs 1400sq', its amazing. guess i'll have to start the Summit for a day or two and get the chill out of the basement i think the wall at 65 (IR thermometer) set it off. maybe because the basement right now is @ 55. anbient air in the house is @ 70 after nine hours....not bad for the little stove that could.
if BK has a sale, i'm there........oh yeah,

cass

ecocavlier

Keep talking!
My lovely wife is tired of loading our small insert :(
She heard about the 18 hour sometimes 24 burn time and wanted to run out and get one

Tom

macmaine said:
ecocavlier

Keep talking!
My lovely wife is tired of loading our small insert :(
She heard about the 18 hour sometimes 24 burn time and wanted to run out and get one

Tom

don't get these guys going....they'll be here all day. :lol: there are enough discussions and comments about the BK line to fill a 500 page novel. find a stove shop and go look at one. just leave your wallet at home. not the most budget priced stove. but sounds like the performahce is great.

cass

ecocavalier02 said:
oldspark said:
lol. about 1600 square feet.

Well I don't feel so bad then since that is 1600 sq ft with and almost 3 cu ft stove :cheese:
I am heating 2600 sq ft with a 3 cu ft stove and realistically that 2600 is conservative considering I have a full basement underneath with no insulation in the floor joists, no insulation in the walls, my concrete walls are exposed by 4 feet all the way around the basement causing all the floors on my first floor to be about 50 degrees and the rear of my house is sliding glass doors and they are cheap and leaky!

106-Im NOT going to hyjack this thread but that is impressive, not sure why some stoves of the same brand and model dont seem to get the same results, I know all the varibles but giving most people the benefit of the doubt.
Have to end this on topic-BK's ROCK.

tcassavaugh said:
but sounds like the performahce is great.

Next time you take your family out to see the great Mississippi, stop by one of the shops on the other side and hide your Mid Atlantic accent, cover your license plate, etc.

SolarAndWood said:
tcassavaugh said:
but sounds like the performahce is great.

Next time you take your family out to see the great Mississippi, stop by one of the shops on the other side and hide your Mid Atlantic accent, cover your license plate, etc.

i went to a local dealer back in November or so. they had just recently become a distributor and had a princess on display and up and running and let me play with it for awhile. nice stove. i had been talking to the regional distributor and he told me about them when he was down here.....they wanted about $3200 for it. i'd really like a king, but i don't really want to redo my chimney from 6" to 8" and the princess would probably take care of my 2800 two story ranch taking the place of my summit basement install. don't understand why there is such a difference in price in the west vs. the east......other than THEY CAN!

btw sir....my accent is not mid-atlantic.....well, not really. i come from upstate n.y. east of albany, born in plattsburgh..... :lol:

cass

tcassavaugh said:
don't understand why there is such a difference in price in the west vs. the east......other than THEY CAN!

It is the distributor east of the Mississippi. Makes it real tough on the dealers and a bad strategy IMO for BK. But we digress...

SolarAndWood said:
It is the distributor east of the Mississippi. Makes it real tough on the dealers and a bad strategy IMO for BK. But we digress...

BKVP mentioned they would be working to correct that soon so we'll see! If they can get the price in line with the west side they would sell a bunch of stoves to the eastsiders just from this site alone. :lol:

Indeed, indeed.

The BK's are certainly pricey. And if you live in the East, even more so.

But we've been living in this 80-year-old, wood-framed, cape cod for 28 years now and this is the first winter that I can say we've been comfortably warm. Not periodically warm as would happen when we tended to our old wood stove. Warm all the time.

It's hard to put a price on that...

ecocavalier02 said:
just amazes me that almost 10 hours later the amount of heat out of this thing.

Sing it brother! Can I get an amen!? :lol:

I loaded mine at 10pm and just filled it now 10:30am, I let it go too long though house is cooling quick! Hallway was down to 67* which never gets that cold, 10 hours would've been about the perfect time for a reload. :lol:

Certainly spendy, but keep your eyes open. There are deals to be found. If you have a stove that's doin' it for you now, bide your time.

I bought mine in OCT. 10. The gov then was doing like 30% back through taxes.
I doubt I would have bought it if not for the rebate..and that would have been a costly mistake.
I believe that was the first I ever used a gov program..I missed the cash for clunkers but still driving my 95 explorer..lol.

rdust said:
ecocavalier02 said:
just amazes me that almost 10 hours later the amount of heat out of this thing.

Sing it brother! Can I get an amen!? :lol:

I loaded mine at 10pm and just filled it now 10:30am, I let it go too long though house is cooling quick! Hallway was down to 67* which never gets that cold, 10 hours would've been about the perfect time for a reload. :lol:
AMEN

Where were all these bk threads when I was shopping??. Just kidding, I'm happy with my jotul! :cheese:

I don't have enough room in my house for another stove, but I bet if I put it outside, it'll still heat the house and melt snow! :coolmad:

Status
Not open for further replies.