BL and mulberry... I think.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
Scrounged this from a road clearing today. A decent amount of BL and what I thought was mulberry but... It was considerably lighter than the BL, saw went throught it like butter, it made me doubt myself. Pic isnt the best but, any thoughts? BL.jpg

The BL I recognize, but not thinking the other is mullberry, 'cause mullberry should have an even fatter white outside ring near the bark than the BL. The mullberry here does, anyhoo. Looks like some kinda maple to me..

R. Oak

No mulberry but it looks like mostly oak. I would rather have mulberry but the oak is good, it just takes a little longer to season. good scrounge

Mulberry the cut sides are usually yellow; Black Locust and some kind of Oak like these other fellas said I believe is correct.

I dont think its oak. I have burned wood like that, (looks just like it and light) splits easy and dries fast. It also burns up quickly. I use it to start fires - takes a match pretty easily. I dont know what kind of wood it is either..

Definitely locust on that pile, bit that other stuff doesn't look like oak to me. Looks more elm-ish.

The pic is deceiving I think, it does make the bark look like red oak but it is not. It was cut green and it is not heavy at all like r oak would be. I traced some nearby mulberry up to the branches and it looked very similar. No red oak in sight, mostly BL and lots of mulberry around.

Reactions: ScotO
The pic is deceiving I think, it does make the bark look like red oak but it is not. It was cut green and it is not heavy at all like r oak would be. I traced some nearby mulberry up to the branches and it looked very similar. No red oak in sight, mostly BL and lots of mulberry around.
That bark looks like my mulberry tree, that's what I am thinking it is. Do you have a pic of the leaf? That would seal the deal....

The pic is deceiving I think, it does make the bark look like red oak but it is not. It was cut green and it is not heavy at all like r oak would be.

Green Mulberry would be very heavy also; can you post a picture of a split so we can see what the inside looks like please?

I was re-thinking it and thought the cut ends weren't red enough for Oak, nor did it have that whitish ring on it.

The bark does look like oak but the wood doesnt, never seen mulberry but would be interested in seeing a couple of splits when you have time.

just split a round, similar to soft maple inside, splits easy. definately not oak.
im trying with the pics but my camera is not cooperating.

. Do you have a pic of the leaf? That would seal the deal....

sorry Scotty, no leaf pic and I wont be going back. Not a very good day, too far of a drive, took too long. About 15 minutes into cutting I decided it would be a good idea to run the saw into the dirt.<> Put my spare chain on which i assumed was sharp...<><>. Used up more time to sharpen the chain. An overall PITA afternoon. Not my usual quick and easy scrounge.

Going on memory, which has been hampered by years of drinking and several blows to the head, the leaves appeared to be of the mulberry, hackberry, elmish type.

never seen mulberry but would be interested in seeing a couple of splits when you have time

Mulberry when fresh cut/split is a BRIGHT yellow, just like hedge, if you have seen that.

Then that rules out mulberry for sure. I still say there is some oak there....how close are the rings?

that looks like silver Maple too me. Great shoulder season wood IMHO

Great wood for smoking/cooking as well! Enjoy and good scrounge

Status
Not open for further replies.