Black Ants a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
I recently got some maple and black locust from local tree companies. Both trees had some pockets filled with large black ants. I tried to clear them out as I split but I'm sure I didn't get them all. Will they spread through out the stacks or leave now that the tree is split up? Any one have issues with these ants? Plan on burning both piles next season, thanks

When you split the wood . . . you essentially served them their eviction notice on their home.

I know if someone smashed my home to bits I would be moving and looking for a new home in a neighborhood a little more quiet . . . which will most likely be another tree somewhere . . . providing they don't freeze to death in the cold or are gobbled up by the hungry birds who will be quite happy with the black ant buffet.

Stack the wood, when you go to use it, those ain't will be nowhere in sight and long gone.

I often run into carpenter ants when splitting. Just a bit of spray and they are done, I don't want them around. Here's a picture of the heart of a tree after they finished. About a gallon of them came spilling out when it came open.

Attachments

• Ants.JPG
    Ants.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 187
We deal with carpenter ants every year. Several of these red maples have ant colonies in the base. Makes for creative tree felling at times.

The guys are right - once the colony is disturbed or in your case destroyed, the ants will disappear.

What others have said. It all really depends on the fate of the Queen. If she can somehow get reestablished somewhere then maybe the colony can survive? Most likely though it won't be in your stack though with all of the commotion they had to go through.

If I have splits that seem to be contain some chambers with ants in them, I toss the splits onto the lawn for a couple days, then stack. The ants leave the wood pretty quickly after it is split.

If it is winter (when bugs are scarce) I might toss the ant-filled splits into the chicken coop for some high-protein chicken snacks.

I have split and stacked lots of wood that held carpenter ands, but never found ants in the stacks when I burn them a few years later.

Reactions: English BoB
If I have splits that seem to be contain some chambers with ants in them, I toss the splits onto the lawn for a couple days, then stack. The ants leave the wood pretty quickly after it is split.

If it is winter (when bugs are scarce) I might toss the ant-filled splits into the chicken coop for some high-protein chicken snacks.

I have split and stacked lots of wood that held carpenter ands, but never found ants in the stacks when I burn them a few years later.

Iam with Wood Duck on this one, throw the splits on one side - next day the ants are gone.

And on that note, closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.