Black Ash, Cherry, or Walnut.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleby

Feb 16, 2008
Eastern PA
I have tons of all 3 available to me but only time to concentrate on one or two species. For you veteran wood stove guys, which would you attack? Or does it not matter here.

If it were my choice I'd go with the ash, hands down. It's the highest in BTU count of the three, is easy to dry, and splits incredibly easy. Splitting cherry can be tough, near impossible if you run into some twisty grain or burls. Walnut I don't have much experience with, but I do have some drying for next year.

Josh

are these large dia trees??? I would sell the Walnut if they are!

Man I logged in just to let you know ASH is the way to go here. Get all the ASH you can for sure.

I'd take either the cherry or walnut too, I burn all 3, but if I had my choice it'd be ASH for sure!

I'm not as big an ash fan as some of the guys above. It does burn hot, not doubt, but imo, it burns up quicker than black cherry. Walnut is sort of in the ash frame as far as burn time, but not as hot. Hey, if its free and easy to get to - it's all good!

Ya, I wasn't totally sure cause it was Black Ash which is deffinitely not White ash on the burn scale.

All of the walnut is in the 8-12" range for the most part with some bigger stuff. Not much furniture grade trucks though and it's old farm edge rows so I doubt the lumber yard would want it do to hidden treasure. I'll get all the ash out of there that I can get and run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.