Q&A Black Bart Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a house that has a fireplace with an old iron insert. It is called a "Black Bart" and was manufactured in 1980 by Bart Manufacturing in North Carolina. Do you know where I could get information on this beast- or should I just figure on replacing it? By the way- there is a strong musty odor coming from the fireplace; any idea of how to eliminate this? Thanks-

Answer:

The Black bart is not worth salvaging...it was a low end unit and had design problems. The smell is caused by:
1. Creosote in the chimney
2. lack of a direct connection from the stove to the first chimney tile. When and if you purchase a new unit- make certain it is installed correctly. Lining the chimney to the top is the best way...but it may be OK to just go up 5 feet or so. Have the chimney cleaned before installing. and most important: Go to your local hearth shop and purchase a bottle of "Fireplace Deodorant" to put in the room - it helps greatly with the smell. Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.