Black Birch Disease?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korasdad

Jun 3, 2008
SE CT
The black birch on my property seem to have some disease that is killing them. The bark peels back and the wood peckers are having a great time but I'm worried that they will all go prematurely. Doesn't seem to matter the age of the tree.

When I asked a local guy, I've only lived here 3 years, he said that the birch in the area (NE CT) have "blight". Is there some disease out there that is killing the black birch like Dutch Elm disease took out the big elms a couple decades ago? Or an insect that kills like the Emerald Ash Borer, I lived in Ann Arbor MI before moving here and lost all the Ash on my property in a short span of 2 years.

Thanks for any help, KorasDad

We don't have Black Birch here, but other varieties succumb to the birch borer. If the woodpeckers are going at the trees, most likely there is an insect infestation.

LLigetfa said:
We don't have Black Birch here, but other varieties succumb to the birch borer. If the woodpeckers are going at the trees, most likely there is an insect infestation.
+100

Korasdad said:
The black birch on my property seem to have some disease that is killing them. The bark peels back and the wood peckers are having a great time but I'm worried that they will all go prematurely. Doesn't seem to matter the age of the tree.

When I asked a local guy, I've only lived here 3 years, he said that the birch in the area (NE CT) have "blight". Is there some disease out there that is killing the black birch like Dutch Elm disease took out the big elms a couple decades ago? Or an insect that kills like the Emerald Ash Borer, I lived in Ann Arbor MI before moving here and lost all the Ash on my property in a short span of 2 years.

Thanks for any help, KorasDad

Let me know when they fall and I'll be happy to come clean up that pile of wonderfull firewood!

Status
Not open for further replies.